View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2012, 8:07 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
Mmm... I don't know about that. Legillimens to me seems more like looking through someone's picture album or home movies rather than reading their thoughts about the subject in question - like a pensieve without the bowl or the syrupy memories. I mean, Harry didn't know the thoughts going through Snape's head when James hoisted him into the air in SWM - there wasn't a voice over in the memory saying "Man, I hate this guy! My own spell being used against me -- I never should have told Mulciber how to do it, I knew he couldn't keep a secret! I'm so going to repay Potter for this!" In this respect, I don't think Legilimency would 'pick up' on bottled emotions.
Legilimency seemed to work by detecting emotions though. Strong emotions made you more susceptible to being broken into.

Quote:
As far as Snape's ability at Occlumens, because he was already secretive or introverted with his emotions I think it was an easier transition to make for him to become secretive with his memories or thoughts. It might have been a more natural transition than for someone who is much more expressive of their thoughts and feeling - they might find it more difficult to shield them from others because they are already so used to expressing them.
Perhaps. On the one hand, keeping control off your emotions all the time might help you keep control of it mentally as well. On the other hand, expressive people tend to "burn out" a lot of those things as well so you hold on to less emotions. Its the difference between getting angry and letting the other person have it versus keeping it bottled inside. I'm not sure which would be a better for Occlumency.

Quote:
But when he does get angry it seems like he totally loses control, like he's a shaken bottle of coke - when it's opened it sprays everywhere and there's no stopping it.
Exactly what happens when you keep it all inside without an outlet. Builds up like a volcano and when something ends up triggering it, everything explodes out.

Sponsored Links