View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:17 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
Legilimency seemed to work by detecting emotions though. Strong emotions made you more susceptible to being broken into.
Yes, emotions are what the Legilimens picks up on to detect a lie, and so controlling emotions is important in Occlumency. During Occlumency lessons, Snape often told Harry to control his emotions.

"I told you to empty yourself of emotions!" (Snape, OotP, Occlumency)

Snape also explains to Harry:

"Only those skilled at Occlumency are able to shut down those feelings and memories that contradict the lie, and so can utter falsehoods in his presence without detection."
(OotP, Occlumency)

And he also mentions controlling emotions in the "fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves" speech. So it does seem that the control of one's emotions is vital to being a successful Occlumens.

As I see it Snape is completely driven by emotion, and that it was his enduring love for Lily that was his motivation from the moment her life was threatened. We are shown just how strong his emotions are regarding Lily, on the wind hilltop; in Dumbledore's office after her death; and when he is crying over the letter. These are the emotions he was keeping in check during his dealings with Voldemort, and to me is what makes his skill as an Occlumens the more remarkable.

Last edited by TreacleTartlet; January 24th, 2012 at 12:26 pm.
Sponsored Links