View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2006, 5:18 pm
Snidget of Champions

Re: Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonibWazley View Post
Dementors fly in the books too. Read OOTP when they attack Dudley.
Well, I did and this is what it read:
OotP, Dudley Demented, Pages 17, 18, and 19, American, HBA towering, hooded figure was gliding smoothly toward him, hovering over the ground, no feet or face visible beneath its robes...and as the stag charged, the dementor swooped away, batlike and defeated...like its fellow, it soared away and was absorbed into the darkness.

also:
OotP, The Hearing, Page 144, American, HBDementor's don't run, they glide

I think that this is enough evidence to show that dementors do not fly, they glide (which means they merely hover above the ground). I, unlike many, did not like the portrayal of the dementors because they did fly. It created an eerie feel, but it just looked wrong during the Quidditch match...
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
To be honest no. The books are quite complicated and go into some detail, which is the thing I like about them. The films skim over details or completely ignore them (which I understand is how films are, but still the best bits of Harry Potter are all those niggling details)
Well, I agree with you in the sense that the books are amazingly detailed whereas the movies must cut out certain things. But there are a few things that the movies included that the books did not, which enhanced the movies and sometimes the books. Some of the added parts in movies I enjoy are:
  • Dumbledore's 'point awarding' at the end of SS where he says, "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends." - I believe that this is very true, whereas the book merely states that standing up to your enemies is equal to standing up to your friends. I like the movie's rendition, where standing up to your friends takes more bravery.
  • The Howler that Ron received - I got the feeling while reading that it was merely an envelope with a voice echoing out of it. It was much better to see the envelope form a mouth/face - it created a very magical feel.
  • Aunt Marge flying outside was priceless and much more humorous then in the book. Although it may seem a bit odd how they deflated her, it was good at that time.
Well, unfortunately that is all I can think of off the top of my head. When I watch the movies again, however, I shall make sure to look for more answers to this question.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Sponsored Links