View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:42 pm
Third Year

Re: Rubeus Hagrid: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
I've always adored Hagrid's character. And I knew he wasn't going to die, I was sure he wasn't all the way!
I was sure he was for two reasons. First, in the hero cycle, every protector of the hero is stripped away before their final conflict. Harry's parents were killed, his godfather was killed, his mentor was killed, and I was sure that Hagrid, the one who brought him to the Dursley's and to Hogwarts, would be killed as well.

The second, more obscure reason, has to do with alchemy. This is from the wikipedia article on alchemy:
Quote:
The Great Work (Latin: Magnum opus), is a term which originated in medieval European alchemy which refers to the successful completion of the transmutation of base matter into gold or the creation of the philosopher's stone. It has subsequently been used as a metaphor for spiritual transformation in the Hermetic tradition.
  • nigredo, blackening(-putrefaction): individuation, purification, burnout of impureness; see also Suns in alchemy - Sol Niger
  • albedo, whitening: spiritualisation, enlightenment
  • rubedo, reddening: unification of man with god, unification of the limited with the unlimited
It seemed to fit so well! Perhaps Hagrid is the one who got the reprieve?

Anyway, I was disappointed because Hagrid seemed only to be there to carry Harry back to Hogwarts. That said, it was kind of fitting, a completion of the circle. He was always the one to deliver Harry from one place to another, when he was a baby, when he was 11, and when he was about to defeat Voldemort.

Peace,
Christopher

A story about religion, magic, muggles
and what happens when you give up your wizard heritage:
Read it here. Comment on it here.

Sponsored Links