View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2008, 5:43 pm
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Re: Plot holes, inconsistencies, and contradictions v2.

Okay, so here's the texts:
Chamber Of Secrets'We have received intelligence that a Hover Charm was used at your place of residence this evening at twelve past minutes past nine.
As you know, underage wizards are not permitted to perform spells outside of school, and further spellwork on your part may lead to expulsion from said school.
Prisoner of Azkaban"Last year, I got an official warning just because a house-elf smashed a pudding in my uncle's house! The Ministry of Magic said I'd be expelled from Hogwarts if there was any more magic there!"
Order of the Phoenix"I suppose you've forgotten the Hover Charm he used three years ago---"
"That wasn't me, it was a house-elf!" said Harry.
"YOU SEE?" roared Fudge, gesturing flamboyantly in Harry's direction. "A house-elf! In a Muggle house! I ask you---"
"The house-elf in question is currently in the employ of Hogwarts School," said Dumbledore. "I can summon him here in an instant to give evidence if you wish."
Half-Blood Prince"But in the wizarding world we come of age at seventeen."
"But how come the Ministry didn't realize that Voldemort had done all that to Morfin?" Harry asked angrily. "He was underage at the time, wasn't he? I thought they could detect underage magic!"
"You are quite right---they can detect magic, but not the perpetrator: You will remember that you were blamed by the Ministry for the Hover Charm that was, in fact, cast by---"
"Dobby," growled Harry; this injustice still rankled. "So if you're underage and you do magic inside an adult witch or wizard's house, the Ministry won't know?"
"They will certainly be unable to tell who performed the magic," said Dumbledore, smiling slightly at the look of great indignation on Harry's face. "They rely on witch and wizard parents to enforce their offspring's obedience while within their walls."
"Well, that's rubbish," snapped Harry. "Look what happened here, look what happened to Morfin!"
The Deathly Hallows"He's made it an imprisonable offense to connect this house to the Floo Network, place a Portkey here, or Apparate in or out.
Second problem: You're underage, which means you've still got the Trace on you."
"I don't---"
"The Trace, the Trace!' said Mad-Eye impatiently. "The charm that detects magical activity around under-seventeens, the way the Ministry finds out about underage magic! If you, or anyone around you, casts a spell to get you out of here, Thicknesse is going to know about it, and so will the Death Eaters.
"We can't wait for the Trace to break, because the moment you turn seventeen you'll lose all the protection your mother gave you."
'Reveling in the removal of his Trace, Harry sent Ron's possessions flying around the room, causing Pigwidgeon to wake up and flutter excitedly around his cage.'
"You---you don't think you've still got your Trace on you, do you, Harry?"
"He can't have," said Ron. "The Trace breaks at seventeen, that's Wizarding law, you can't put it on an adult."
"But how did they find you so quickly? It's impossible to track anyone who Apparates, unless you grab hold of them as they disappear!"
"We wondered," said Hermione tentatively, "whether Harry could still have the Trace on him?"
"Impossible," said Lupin, Ron looked smug, and Harry felt hugely relieved. "Apart from anything else, they'd know for sure Harry was here if he still had the Trace on him, wouldn't they?"

Okay, I think that's all of the important instances the Trace is talked about.

Maybe it's just me, but the way I'm understanding the text is that the Trace either shows magic has been performed by an underage witch/wizard or near to an underage witch or wizard. I don't see an inconsistency with what was given in both Prince and Hallows.

Remus and Ron do not confirm Hermione's suspicion, they so 'no, absolutely not possible, the Trace is only triggered because of the presence of someone who's not of age'.

Which means there should have been a deeper investigation into the magic at the Gaunt shack and following Kendra's death. But there wasn't.

There's also been shown inconsistency at the Ministry in its investigation of the Black/Pettigrew 'duel', the missing Muggle Frank Bryce, the missing Bertha Jorkins, Harry's supposed Hover Charm, the rubbish bin incident with Mad-Eye.

This is how Jo shows the ineptitude and ineffectualness of the Ministry, which makes it all the more powerful when she says that Ron and Harry make vast changes and now its a good place to work at.

There's no doubt she makes flubs and what have you, we know she does, cause we catch her at it. Like Snape overhearing the prophecy and then Trelawney's description of it. Those two don't match up, really.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Sponsored Links