View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:38 am
Second Year

Re: Hufflepuff House : Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf_Shaw View Post
I love Hufflepuff House too. Simply because one does not achieve fame and fortune, does not mean they are any less intelligent or have less potential. However, there is no evidence to suggest that Harry wouldn't have done the exact same noble thing as Cedric and not take the Cup. Harry probably values fairness as much as anyone, bcause that he suffered unjustly in his childhood, understanding and believing in equality.

Just as Peter Pettigrew can be in Gryffindor, so could many Hufflepuffs differ greatly from Cedric. Ernie for example was very petty and immature when he believed Harry could be the heir to Slytherin and Justin is lovable, but very pompous. Hufflepuff may have great members like Tonks, but not all will exemplify her (and Cedric's) values, respectively. The wizarding world needs the Hufflepuffs, but they would be stuck without the efforts of the (mainly) Gryffindors who actually make sure evil is punished.

Your post brings up an interesting point-that the wizarding world needs Gryffindors AND Hufflepuffs, and I definitely agree! I hope you didn't get the wrong message from my post. I think the sorting hat's little song about uniting the houses wasn't just written in for no reason, and that all four houses will definitely have to come together in the end as equals. Just because I like Hufflepuff the best doesn't mean that I think they'd be better off without the other houses, but I do think they are underepresented in the themes of the books so far, and that a major plot point waiting to be resolved is how Harry's world is very unfair. I agree with you that I see Gryffindors as the rightous champion types.They all have a role to play, certainly. I do really think that the wizarding world is probably most closely allied with the ideology of Slytherin at the moment thanks to Voldemort's influence, and that in Deathly Hallows the Hufflepuff fair play and Gryffindor bravery will prevail. But I still think Harry would have taken the cup, as there isn't any concrete evidence either way we may have to agree to disagree. I'm just basing that judgement on how shocked Harry is to think that Cedric wouldn't take the cup. IE he wouldn't be shocked if it were something natural to Harry that he would think of doing himself. I certainly don't mean to say Harry is a bad person as he would think that it was fair to take the cup (as he thinks it's fair for Cedric to take the cup) but that's just how I see him reacting. Whereas Cedric really wants to think deeply about the fairness of it all, even if Harry tells him to take the cup.

Last edited by oneinhufflepuff; June 8th, 2007 at 12:41 am.
Sponsored Links