View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2008, 5:47 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Should homeschooling be illegal?

I agree that homeschooling should be legal. While some parents choose to home-school for religious reasons, many more choose to do so because they believe the public schools aren't meeting their child's educational needs.

My public school system just adopted a really crummy math program which I believe won't provide my kids with a sufficient foundation in math to succeed in whatever field they choose. The county also have a language arts program which I believe places insufficient emphasis on phonics and don't even get me started on Science and History or Music. I've been forced to take over where I've found the counties curriculum lacking. As a result my kids have to do about a hour of school each night after they get home from school and that's just for math and language arts.

I was just flipping through the materials we use at home and contrasting them with the schools pacing guides and I realized that I've pretty much taken over teaching the majority of what my child learns in school. Considering how difficult it is to stuff all of what I think my kids need into the few hours we have after school (not to mention how tired they are after a full day of school), I've begun wondering just why I keep my kids in the public schools.

I guess my point is that parents need to have options available to them for educating their children which include homeschooling. From what I understand, in the US each state has different laws regulating homeschooling.

My state is classified as having a moderate level of regulation of homeschooling. From what I can tell from the home school legal defense association web site (see link below), in VA parents can choose to home-school under one of three different options and each option has different regulatory requirements. If you are homeschooling for non-religious reasons you have to either:
1) possess a high school diploma, or
2) be a certified teacher, or
3) use an approved correspondence course, or
4) submit evidence parent can teach or
5) submit a curriculum that includes state objectives for language arts and math.

You also have to administer a standardized test or have your child otherwise evaluated every year and submit those results to local superintendent by August 1. From what I understand there are substantial penalties for home-school parents who fail to meet state standards.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Sponsored Links