View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2014, 4:35 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Re: Feminism: Definitions and Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
If it's wrong to lie to get nude photos of a man in the public eye, why is it not wrong to steal nude photos of a woman in the public eye?
Well I think they're both wrong, but there is another key difference. For better or worse (worse, I'm pretty sure), one and only one of those set of photos was obviously in demand. I'd be willing to bet views of the stolen celebrity photos increased thousands of percent after it was reported they were posted online--I know I never would have known they existed in a million years if every media source in the universe hadn't talked about them.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, mind you, but I just think this had some darker origins than mere (mere?) sexism. I saw in this a combination of our modern, skeevy celebrity worship, and the sad insanity of insulated online communities where users no long really think of other people as people. On that subject, I'd recommend taking a look at Jennifer Lawrence's recent comments in Vanity Fair. She reinforces with her personal experience what a lot of people seem to have missed: it was very much a crime and a violation (and if you ask me, she's clearly still not OK about it, even if she doesn't have a choice but to move on).

Well if nothing else, perhaps the crime and surrounding media event will remind people that public figures are actual human beings.

Oh and yes I heard quite a lot of people saying that the celebrities were "asking for it" by daring to store personal photos online... utter ********.

Last edited by canismajoris; October 9th, 2014 at 4:37 am.
Sponsored Links