View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2011, 9:33 pm
Third Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why? Probably DH2, because this movie brought me to tears, which is a first for a movie. It's very emotional, but also action-packed. I LOVED all of the battle scenes and was very pleased with how the Trio, especially Harry, got to show off their skills and abilities, something that I thought was lacking from the actual book.

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it? My favorite? I'm not sure if I could pick which one... although I did enjoy Hermione and Ron's first kiss. I was fist-pumping in my chair at the theater when I saw that.

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World? I wish I could take Colombus, Cuaron, and Yates, and smush all of their portrayals together. I loved how wonderfully magical and exciting Colombus made the WW seem (Diagon Alley, anyone?), and I am also a fan of how fun and quirky Cuaron made the WW (the Leaky Cauldron, and the Night Bus), but I also liked how Yates connected the WW to the Muggle world (the Bridge scene in HPB), which made everything seem more real.

Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies? I don't think so. Like the books get darker and more mature as the series progresses, the movies do the same. I don't think, for example, Colombus could have mastered the Battle of Hogwarts scenes, or could Yates bring the innocence and wonder and fun to the first two films like Colombus did.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.

I think the Malfoy family as a whole was a good storyline. Of course there's Draco, who went from being a menace to a legitimate threat, to a bad guy who wants to turn good again. Also Lucius. In the beginning of CoS, he's a slimy, insulting, rich, powerful man who manages to give Ginny Riddle's diary and get Dumbledore to resign. But by DH1, Lucius is a weakened man, who's been to Azkaban and back, and who lost his reigns on the WW and his family, who is losing everything, and is desperate to keep anything he can. It's really well played.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)? Yikes, I would have to say Maggie Smith as Professor McGonagall. She's tough and firm, but not mean, and she has that wry sense of humor found in the books. Good casting, WB.
Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you? huh-what? Weird question is weird.

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies? Apart from SS/PS, it hasn't been all that important to me.
Who is your favourite music composer? Williams. Everybody recognizes Hedwig's Theme, it's so iconic.
What is your favourite music track? Again, Hedwig's Theme.

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.

Which movie has the best cinematography? I know it's just one scene, but I really liked in GoF where the camera panned up over the maze, showing exactly how grand and dangerous it really was.

Best set design (props etc)? PoA. The Leaky Cauldron and the Knight Bus are both amazing pieces of art.

Best special effects? DH, both 1 and 2. Loved the fight scenes in DH2, and I was also blown away by the Three Brothers in DH1. That shadow-art was amazing and completely unexpected.

Best costumes? I liked Emma Watson's not-Hogwarts-uniforms. Perhaps it's not really a "costume" costume, but I still like them.

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?

Absolutely. Harry Potter has defined the past ten years of my life. Even though there are some things that, as fans, we will never be happy with, the series overall has been excellent. It brought the characters and the Wizarding World itself to life. It's hard to believe that it's all gone.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 almost made me a Snape-fan. . .almost. But then I re-read Deathly Hallows and I came back to my senses and the world was the way it's supposed to be.
Sponsored Links