View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:17 am
Second Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?

Order of the Phoenix was where the books lost me for a while, and it was only more recently with the release of the last book and the final films that I resolved to go back to Potter and pick up where I left off - with the book and film of Order of the Phoenix. And it's now my favourite movie (second favourite book after the Deathly Hallows). This film packs the biggest emotional punch for me, with the relationship between Harry and Sirius being so well built up, and then so cruelly ended. I wonder what a whole series adapted by Goldenberg and directed by Yates could have been like?

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?

When Voldemort possesses Harry, that is so well acted by Dan - a true defining moment of the series.

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?
Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?

I love Columbus' vision, and who knows what may have happened to the series if he hadn't established it as well as he did. But for me, the nod goes to Yates. The last four movies are consistently excellent.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.

Tough one. Snape's story is the most enthralling for me, but by it's very nature, is not apparent until the end. And yet, the hints are there right back to the first film, with the quidditch match... so yeah, I think Snape. And all credit to Alan Rickman for that - legend.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?
Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?

Best portrayal - Snape.
Revelation - Dan Radcliffe. Who could have known when casting a 10-year old that he'd grow into the role so well?

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies?
Who is your favourite music composer?
Which soundtrack is your favourite?
What is your favourite music track?

The music is vital to any film, it can change the whole feel of a scene. My favourite soundtrack is from Order of the Phoenix, and with the way Nicholas Hooper introduces so many new themes and makes them iconic, he gets my nod for the best composer too. But my favourite track - well, it's actually three in a row - is from Alexandre Desplat's score for Deathly Hallows Part 2, and that's the sequence from the pensieve to the forest. "Severus and Lily", "Harry's Sacrifice" and "The Resurrection Stone".

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.

Which movie has the best cinematography?
Best set design (props etc)?
Best special effects?
Best costumes?

Cinematography - maybe the only time I'll give the nod to Prisoner of Azkaban.

Set Design - Order of the Phoenix. The Ministry of Magic is magnificent.

Special Effects - Deathly Hallows, Part I. I love the animated story of the Hallows. Part II would have got the nod, but for a disappointing depiction of the giants. Still a close run thing though. Order of the Phoenix gets an honourable mention for the battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort, but a massive black mark for Grawp.

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?
Overall - yes, and whilst it would have been nice to see the whole tangling web of subplots dealt with, it was never going to be realistic in the constraints of a movie format. I think they did great.

Last edited by Peakes; June 5th, 2012 at 9:44 pm. Reason: Fixed rogue tag
Sponsored Links