View Single Post
Old March 19th, 2007, 3:05 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Why didn't Voldemort use some other Portkey in GoF?

Sirius didn't need to hear the information from Snape. He could have heard it from Dumbledore who heard it from Snape. Or Snape could have revealed it in an Order meeting. We have a canon quote, and it wasn't made idly by Sirius. He was discussing it along with Bill, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Tonks, and Lupin. I doubt that several members of the Order were all mistaken about this. In fact, they referred to this as being Dumbledore's opinion too.

We also have the logic that it would have been dangerous for Voldemort to appear in front of all those people (including Dumbledore) at the tournament, and Voldemort isn't stupid. Showing off in front of his DEs in a secluded graveyard that he can kill Harry is rather cowardly, not showy. He knew that Harry didn't have the powers or dueling ability he had.

Let's try the entire quote in context. It clearly explains that Harry foiled Voldemort's plans and why.
OotP, Chapter 5 "The Order of the Phoenix''OK, Harry… what do you want to know?'
Harry took a deep breath and asked the question that had obsessed him for the last month.
'Where's Voldemort?' he said, ignoring the renewed shudders and winces at the name. 'What's he doing? I've been trying to watch the Muggle news, and there hasn't been anything that looks like him yet, no funny deaths or anything.'
That's because there haven't been any funny deaths yet,' said Sirius, 'not as far as we know, anyway… and we know quite a lot.'
'More than he thinks we do, anyway,' said Lupin.
'How come he's stopped killing people?' Harry asked. He knew Voldemort had murdered more than once in the last year alone.
'Because he doesn't want to draw attention to himself,' said Sirius. 'It would be dangerous for him. His comeback didn't come off quite the way he wanted it to, you see. He messed it up.'
'Or rather, you messed it tip for him,' said Lupin, with a satisfied smile.
'How?' Harry asked, perplexed.
'You weren't supposed to survive!' said Sirius. 'Nobody apart from his Death Eaters was supposed to know he'd come back. But you survived to bear witness.'
'And the very last person he wanted alerted to his return the moment he got back was Dumbledore,' said Lupin. 'And you made sure Dumbledore knew at once.'
'How has that helped?' Harry asked.
'Are you kidding?' said Bill incredulously. 'Dumbledore was the only one You-Know-Who was ever scared of!'
Thanks to you, Dumbledore was able to recall the Order of the Phoenix about an hour after Voldemort returned,' said Sirius.
'So, what's the Order been doing?' said Harry, looking around at them all.
'Working as hard as we can to make sure Voldemort can't carry out his plans,' said Sirius.
'How d'you know what his plans are?' Harry asked quickly.
'Dumbledore's got a shrewd idea,' said Lupin, 'and Dumbledore's shrewd ideas normally turn out to be accurate.'
'So what does Dumbledore reckon he's planning?'
'Well, firstly, he wants to build up his army again,' said Sirius. 'In the old days he had huge numbers at his command: witches and wizards he'd bullied or bewitched into following him, his faithful Death Eaters, a great variety of Dark creatures. You heard him planning to recruit the giants; well, they'll be just one of the groups he's after. He's certainly not going to try and take on the Ministry of Magic with only a dozen Death Eaters.'
Nor would he use a portkey to plant himself (alone, no less) in front of half the ministry and Dumbledore, not to mention how many other talented adult wizards.

He wanted to kill Harry and not set off any manhunts for him or anyone else. So if Harry was supposedly killed by Viktor, no one would be the wiser. Otherwise they wouldn't have needed to set Viktor up as the fall guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavina View Post
My opinion of course, and others are free to theirs , as suggested by my signature line.
But some opinions have stronger canon support than others. I have a rather long passage in OotP to support my opinion. BTW, this is settled canon. There is nothing that will be changed or gained by learning another reason why the portkey was two-way. This is the canon explanation. We can't shoot it down by claiming that Sirius was mistaken (especially since the room was filled with Order members who all agreed with Sirius), because otherwise, we would need a good reason for this to be incorrect. We have a rather long passage explaining it. If we hadn't been given that passage, things might be different.

Sometimes dreams do come true

Last edited by ComicBookWorm; March 20th, 2007 at 5:08 am.
Sponsored Links