View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2010, 8:57 am
Sixth Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Part 1: Romantic moments & that scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_elf View Post
Oh don't worry I never got the impression you were delusional I've quite enjoyed reading your posts on the matter.

As for the purpose of the H/Hr dance scene, I think Yoana hinted at this, but it served the purpose of showing how the characters care for one another. It would have been rather odd for the casual viewer, I think, if Harry hadn't tried in some way to alleviate the gloom. Also, purely in terms of pacing and mood the scene was an attempt to shift us out of the gloom for a moment, to remind us that there is light and happiness for these characters, and conversely to remind us how dark things actually are. The scene falls between an emotionally draining scene (Ron's leaving) and a very scary and tense one (Godric's Hollow). I think the film makers just didn't want to have us on a low for so long.
Which is why I feel the song is very fitting for this scene. It's not romantic in the least. It's about children who are dealing with a lot to take a moment, and have fun. And that fits this scene perfectly.

Because these 2 were doing just that - taking a moment out of their dire and dark situation to have a minute or two and completely forget what was happening around them.

Quote:
Could they have done this another way? Probably. But as I have argued before, I think the intimate undertones served to propel and heighten the contrast and effect of Hermione's "choice," which runs through the Horcrux destruction as well.
Couldn't have said it better! I've always tried to convey this intelligibly, but came out as a confusing jumble, and I think you said this perfectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin6 View Post

I also have zero problems with Hermione in this scene. She walks away. She chooses Ron. I guess I feel this choice she makes would have been more effective if there was an alone scene with Ron and Hermione showing her feelings for him a lot more clearly.
I completely agree. I would've loved to have this in the movie to balance it, but apparently the tone wouldn't fit At least we'll get this on DVD!

I just wish there could be an uncut edition, so we don't have to watch the deleted scenes separately.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Sponsored Links