View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2007, 6:00 pm
First Year

Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Well, firstly, this was kind of out of the blue, but I'm really, really happy. I don't have a problem with homosexuality at all, (I have friends that are gay or bi...it's not even a big deal at my school, which is Catholic, so I don't really see why some people, especially religious people, are so against it.) but I never really dared to hope that anyone would be gay in canon - I didn't really think that any character had been set up to be gay, so I wasn't expecting it at all.

One thing that I'd really like to mention is that, well - we shouldn't attribute Dumbledore's eccentric manner to his homosexuality...if people start to do that, I'm going to be very angry, and I think most other people will be, too. Being gay doesn't mean that you act any different from anyone else. Dumbledore's oddness was part of his personality, and I hope that JKR wrote his homosexuality to be a separate part of his character...otherwise, he would be a rather cliche gay character. Well, I'm not saying that Dumbledore is cliche, I'm just saying that having a gay character wear brightly-colored robes, etc. is, well...cliche. But hey, he's one of the most powerful wizards ever, so I guess that kind of works out. (Honestly - I'm happy about Dumbledore being gay, but I think it could have been done better, in book-canon.)

What else. Oh. Yes, I'd also like to point out that we can't start saying "Ew!" when we think about Dumbledore saying that he loved Harry too much to tell him the prophecy, etc. Being homosexual is not the same as being a pedophile, for one thing, and for another, gay people aren't attracted to everyone in the same sex, just like heterosexuals aren't attracted to everyone of the opposite sex. Imagine, for a moment, that JKR decided to make Dumbledore a woman, without any change to his character - or, if you don't want to do that, imagine McGonagall telling Harry that she loved him too much to do something or another. Would it be creepy or weird or in any way sexual? No! It wouldn't! So I'm hoping that the movie directors don't change the way they characterize Dumbledore, and that we, as fans, understand his homosexuality and his relationships with the other male characters as platonic. Well, except perhaps Grindelwald. (Can't. Wait. For. The. Encyclopedia!!! )

You know what I think is absolutely wonderful? Isn't it great that a homosexual character is the one (after Harry, maybe Lily too) who understood the most about love? I wish that this would have been revealed, somehow, in book-canon, but I guess I can understand why it wasn't. This should still have a big impact, though....we might have this entire generation growing up as un-homophobic as possible, because they understand that love between homosexuals isn't any different than love between heterosexuals, isn't any less meaningful or strong.

...Whoopee!!! Yay, JKR!!!

One apology: I'm sorry, but I really, really didn't have time to read very much of the previous thread, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating someone.

~Marisa

R.I.P. Hedwig, Mad-Eye, Dobby, Fred, Remus, Tonks, Severus, and Colin. We already miss you.

Thank you, Jo. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you....
All is well.
Sponsored Links