View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2018, 6:13 pm
Snidget of Champions

Re: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Spoiler: show
I thought in the movie the comment was more like his looking "worse for wear" but will know once I see the film again. And sorry to say it again, but Grindelwald didn't make any horcruxes or Voldemort couldn't have killed him in DH. So that can't be a reason for his appearance.
Normally I'd agree, but this film has made me rethink my devotion to canon. Occam's razor doesn't seem to apply to this prequel. I've seen a lot of folks saying this film is only the second of five, so we'll get our answers. And that's all well and good, but I have a feeling those answers will have to go through some pretty convoluted canon. Like explaining McGonagall being there. Sure, it can be explained in canon by her taking a decades-long break from Hogwarts and JKR being bad at math, but that's not a wholly satisfying answer for me. And if that's the logic that has to be used to explain the events in Crimes of Grindelwald, I'm not sure I can speculate. Because almost anything is possible. Grindelwald could have 13 Horcruxes that Credence destroys in a rage, for all we know. And not all of that is bad writing, per se - there are a lot of holes in our knowledge from the original series. So why couldn't it be possible that Grindelwald made a single Horcrux (the blood pact vial, maybe?) that Dumbledore, or Newt, or a niffler destroys, thus allowing Voldemort to murder him in DH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl
Regarding the toddler, weren't the parents related somehow to Credence's heritage or information about it? Grindelwald was eliminating any evidence that would lead to information regarding Credence so he can manipulate him, so the toddler had to go as well.
I don't think so. In the screenplay, Grindelwald just points to the house, and upon entering says "Yes. This will be suitable after a thorough cleanse." It feels like he was just setting up a headquarters. But who knows? Could've been Credence's aunt and uncle and Grindelwald was killing two birds with one stone, but I didn't see any indication of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
The only way Credence could be a Dumbledore is if he was Aberforth's kid....
Or Ariana's or Kendra's (and JKR's timeline is just off) or Percival's after he miraculously escaped Azkaban and found another woman. But Grindelwald tells Credence that his brother (presumably Albus) is targeting him. So then he couldn't be Aberforth's, Ariana's, or Albus's kid. And, of course, how does Grindelwald know any of this? He doesn't seem to have known Credence in FB1, and he's presumably been in a cell for much of the next 6 months. Though it does seem like he escaped and had his scapegoat in place for at least part of it. But maybe he's just lying to Credence (in which case, the reveal will fall a bit flat come FB3). Anything seems to be on the table when nothing in canon clearly supports it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
I completely believe that Grindelwald
is lying to Credence. He may be a relative of Albus', but there is no way he is his brother. I like to think that Credence is going to introduce himself to Albus as Aurelius Dumbledore, ready to fight to the death, and Albus is just going to be like ?????? Gellert is responsible for this, isn't he?
. But maybe that's just me.
I think this would be the best way to resolve this issue, though it would dull the "big reveal" in this film. I think the reveal was partly just to spark so much controversy and discussion that it drives people to the next film to figure out how it could be. It seems a bit like lazy/gotcha storytelling to me, though, and not up to scratch with the cohesive stories of the original series.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Sponsored Links