View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2007, 7:27 pm
Professor

Test Your Wits! The Riddle Thread V.13

Welcome to the Harry Potter riddles thread, located in the lovely village of Little Hangleton (Town Motto: Producing evil Riddles since 1927). Version 12 of this thread can be found here (it will be there for a week or two, then it will be deleted ). Our very own pub is located over here.

A few "rules," although pretty much anything goes here:

1) If you wish to post a riddle, please keep a limit of one riddle at a time. We make a very occasional exception to this rule if the riddle is extremely short and easy and you wish to post several of the same type. If you are unsure feel free to ask.

2) There are usually multiple open riddles at any given time. Therefore, when making guesses for a riddle, please either quote the riddle you are referring to or state the name of the person whose riddle you are guessing on.

3) When you guess on a riddle, try to include at least some reasoning as to how you came to your conclusion(s). The riddle writer is in a much better position to respond to your guess if he/she knows why you guessed a tadfoal, Mrs. Mason's cousin, or sneezewort and scurvy-grass. This also prevents people from randomly guessing a correct answer without actually solving the riddle.

4) Riddles can take almost any form imaginable and can be as hard or as easy as you would like to make them as long as they're related to the Harry Potter world in some way. However, to make the riddles fair for everyone, please do not make riddles that refer to page numbers, chapter pictures, book covers, or anything else that is not the same or does not appear in all versions of the books. Violations of this rule will be punished by frequent usage of the icon, so don't say you haven't been warned!

5) Have fun!

Reposts will be made at intervals so that you can keep track of which riddles are open and which are solved, and also as a compilation of any information gathered for each riddle. Pending guesses are often posted in the repost, so check your riddle for any progress.

Open Riddles:
Edited To Add: these riddles have already been solved. you can find the answers in this thread. for unsolved riddles, go to the newest posts.

Old Riddle by Jezzer350:    

- Find a way to split these numbers into groups. There is a pattern that is common in all the groups of numbers so when you split them look for patterns and you'll know you split it correctly. Solve Riddle to find the name of a Harry Potter character.
see post

Clues: There are 44 numbers, and they split evenly, so the amount of numbers in a single group times the number of groups will give you 44. That gives several choices:
.2 groups of 22 numbers
.4 groups of 11 numbers
.11 groups of 4 numbers
.22 groups of 2 numbers
I suggest you try each groupings and look for the trend, it is something that links one group of numbers to the previous.

question from xyrax and response:    

X: I noticed you told us to be looking for a trend that connects "groups of numbers," referring to the separate digits. Does that mean we should not look at the numbers as multi-digit numbers, but as groupings of single-digit numbers?

J: I'll show a small example of the problem youface:

68643432 << this can be split into 6864 + 3432 as the first term in the group is half of the previous first term, same with the second and same with the third and forth.

The difference in the actual riddle is that not all the terms are linked like the one above, it might be that only one term in a grouping is linked to the others. Don't worry, if it's the first term in the grouping that is significant then it'll be the first all the way through. Also, in the example above it is split into fours, this may/may not be the case in the riddle.

Who am I by DeathEaterJ:    

G, L, C, N, V, P
E, F, N, O, V, F, I

- Rolling a 2 and a 5 is a good place to start.
see post

guess from Puchula and response:    

P: Here's a first attempt for your riddle. I added two letters to the first row and five to the second. They don't seem to mean anything to me as they are, so I could be just very wrong.

I, M, E, P, X, R
J, K, S, T, A, K, N

DEJ:nope sorry Puchy
and good clue to put here.......monopoly for example

guess from twins and response:    

twins:I've converted the letters to numbers then I've tried Rolling the numbers first by 2 then that total by 5 this is what I got .

G = 7 + 2 = 9 + 5 = 14 ....................I, N
L = 12 + 2 = 14 + 5 = 19 .................N,S
C = 3 + 2 = 5 + 5 = 10.....................E ,K
N = 14 + 2 = 16 + 5 = 21..................P,U
V = 22 + 2 = 24 + 5 = 29..................X,C

P = 16 + 2 = 18 + 5 = 23..................R,W

E = 5 + 2 = 7 + 5 + 12.....................G,L
F = 6 + 2 = 8 + 5 = 13.....................H,M
N = 14 + 2 = 16 + 5 = 21..................P,U
O = 15 + 2 = 17 + 5 = 22.................Q,V
V = 22 + 2 = 24 + 5 = 29.................X,C
F = 6 + 2 = 8 + 5 = 13....................H,M
I = 9 + 2 = 11 + 5 + 16...................K,P

For the 29 I rolled 26 over and got 26 + 3 =29 , 3=C

Is this going in the right direction DEJ. ???

DEJ: that is the right step and either you or i did something wrong but the next letters are
N, S, J, U, C, W
L, M, U, V, C, M, P
with a jump 7 letters forward
Renbums are a good way to go now

another guess from twins and response:    

twins: Ok switching those letters to numbers and adding 7 I get ;
21 26 17 28 10 30

19 20 28 29 10 20 23

Converting those back to letters I get
U Z Q B J D

S T B C J T W

I must have done something wrong here .
Can you tell me how many steps there is in your riddle Please ?

DEJ: two or three more steps and forget 7 now but the j and the two c's were italic for a reason!
On a completely unrelated note since i live in ohio i now have to wrap my coat tightly around me.

new guess from kala way:    

Well, if you break the numbers up into groups of 4 then the first digit in each set is the second digit of the previous set.
i.e. 5143 1022 0100 1681 6850 8705 7215 2440 4484 4010 0963

I'm not sure if that's the answer but it seems to be the direction he was explaining. But, it doesn't work for the first set since there isn't a previous but...yea

No clue what HP character that could connect to, I'll work on a bit more and see if I can figure anything else out.

Puzzle by Mumbonumbo:    

Clue:- Spanish Word
see post

question from sholeigh and response:    

sho: I've ruled out phone code because there are 0s and 1s in your riddle.
Are you using keyboard code? e.g. 2 = w, s or x

Mumbo: 25519

A Riddle by InEssenceDivided:    

KD CIICDBC VKTKVCVC

- There are 2 or 3 steps. Whichever way you look at it.
see post

AnagramFamily by Murzim:    

1 EGHHIILLMORWWWY
2 AACDEEMNRSTW
3 DDEEELLPRRW
4 AAAAABCDKNRTSSSVY
5 EHHIIKLNNOPRTYWW
6 AAABBDGHHIOSTT
7 CDDIIIIINNRSTUVV
8 ABDEHIIKLLNRRSW
9 CCEEHIIMSTW
10 AEHILLOPPRSY
11 AEEGGIIJNRRSU
12 AAADGHKMNORSW
13 BEEIILMNNQRTT
14 ACDEGIKLLOORRTY
15 AAADEFFGILLNRTW
16 AABBEGIILRSTU
see post

Which character? by Tiberius:    

Other than Harry and Dumbledore, which character in Harry Potter is said to have a scar with an unusual property?
see post

- It is not: Arthur, Bill, Lee Jordan, Nearly Headless Nick, Moody with his missing eye, the Sorting Hat
- The Dark Mark is not a scar
Clue: A real scar that has a very unusual property. And remember that "Unusual property" doesn't include "being caused by something odd". A scar which can actually do something.
- It does not have to be magical to have a unique property.

guess by Evilrabbit and response:    

Evilrabbit: Is the character Ron, because of the brain marks on his arms, which he thinks should make him more attractive to girls? Or Moody, whose missing eye, leg, and chunk of nose could be considered scars, and the eye has special powers? Or Arthur Weasley, because his snake bite scars don't heal properly due to the venom? Or Hagrid, whose face scars don't heal even though he supposedly left behind the giants a long time ago? Or Lupin/Bill, because their werewolf bite scars give them wolf powers? Not sure if any of these are technically "unusual properties".

Tibbs: Not quite what I am looking for. I meant the scar itself is unusual, not how he got the scars.

guess by kala_way:    

It's just frustrating me because I can't think of any "scar" that "does" something other than Harry's...

People with known scars other than Harry and Dumbledore (that I can remember ):
Ron (brain scar),
Moody (assorted auror antics),
Marietta (snitch scar),
Arthur (snake scar),
Lee Jordan (Umbridge scar),
Sir Nick (head ),
Hagrid (Grawp/magical creature wrestling scars),
Dudley (pigtail scar, probably),
Bill & Remus (werewolf scars),
Dobby (always hurting himself so I assume...), for that matter
Fred & George (in pursuit of the perfect wheeze, certainly that leaves a mark)
DE's (dark mark...m/b not technically a 'scar'),

And just to relieve my insanity you have confirmed that it is an actual scar, that really does somethin, on an actual bodypart, on an actual person, in the series? You said it wasn't Arthur's flying scar , but it's not some other play on words like...the scar on the book that ends the series (last word), right?

Crypto-Family Fun by twinsrule26:    

1. NTMB/NSOUISSE
2. JBELB/JBGKN
3. SFNB/DTKFAU
4. NKPB/GTFJKM
5. LBFKUGGB/UEIUYSLHU
6. YXS/YXBMI
7. LBMEV/HFSYANUXTFPG
8. JUMUNSJU/YNUBFCBGUF
9. LKPP/P/RBCYUGG

Clue - Flitwick's Charmers
see post

If anything is wrong or missing let me know

Last edited by biara; May 30th, 2009 at 3:44 am.
Sponsored Links