View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2011, 5:25 pm
Second Year

Re: Kingdom Of Magic [AU - Crossover with Hime-chan's Ribbon]

Ribbon and Stone
Chapter 7: None At Bag-End, but Plenty At Hogwarts
Quote:
Harry knocked on the door to Snape's office. He had been instructed to come here for his detention. To his surprise, Himeko and Daichi also had detentions with Snape tonight in his office. There were footsteps behind him. Thinking it was Snape, the three of them turned around. It wasn't Snape, it was a Ravenclaw girl that Harry didn't recognize. She looked like she was a second-year.

The door opened, and out walked a burly fifth-year Slytherin. He looked at the four and grunted. "Snape'll see you now. Hope you brought your gloves!"

With those ominous words, he walked off. Snape called out of the door. "Don't just stand there like a bunch of idiots, come inside of my office. Yes, Chang, you too."

As Harry entered the office, he noticed that there were three extremely dirty cauldrons, each filled with soaply, slightly steaming water, and each sitting next to an empty chair. "You will each scrub cauldrons until they are clean for one hour. No magic will be used. You may talk amongst yourselves if you so desire. When the cauldron you are scrubbing is clean, I will assign you another one. If I find that you are not trying, I will call you back for this detention again on Monday evening. Chang, come over to my desk; we shall carry on your lessons away from those three dunderheads."

Slightly irked at being called a dunderhead, Harry started scrubbing furiously. He wondered why they were allowed to talk... and it was then that he noticed that Snape and the Ravenclaw girl were talking rapidly in another language.

{Chang, I assume you still wish to practice Occlumency in order to keep your Father out of your head during the summer holidays?}

{Yes, sir.}

Harry wondered what language they were talking in, and continued scrubbing.

{Very well then, Chang. Have you had training in meditation?}

{Yes, sir.}

{Have you ever created an Occlumency Shield before?}

{Yes, sir; I was wondering if you could test mine.}

{Chang, you are here tonight so that I can actively try to break into your feelings and memories. A Shield created without active resistance cannot adapt. I will not test your defenses so much as I will make you learn which memories are the ones your Father would find most powerful.}

Chang's eyes widened. Himeko nudged Harry. "What are they saying, Harry?"

"Something about Occlumency." Harry whispered back as he scrubbed his cauldron. It was starting to become cleaner, though not by much. The hot water was bearable, but only just. Listening intently to Snape and Chang, he missed what Himeko and Daichi were arguing about.

{As you know, Chang, Occlumency and Legilimency are related arts. Where one is defensive, the other is offensive. Both rely on control of emotions. Basic Occlumency is simply masking the emotions attatched to certain memories, while the more advanced form is misdirection of emotions onto other memories. The most powerful of Occlumens, myself and Dumbledore included, can actually bar entry into the mind altoghter.}

Snape briefly looked at the three Cauldron Scrubbers. When Harry met his eyes, the young boy flushed with anger, suddenly remembering the time his Aunt Marge had let her bulldog chase him up a tree. Snape gasped, and said "Excuse me, I must see the headmaster. Continue with your scrubbings. Not you, Potter, you come with me. Chang, you are excused; we will continue your lesson tomorrow."

Harry wondered why he was being taken to the headmaster's office; had Snape noticed that he had been listening in on the conversation?

For five brief minutes, Snape led in silence, with Harry remembering more and more bad things about the Dursleys every time Snape locked eyes with the boy. When they got to the stone gargoyle, Snape nearly shouted "Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans!" The anger was evident in his voice, and the gargoyle sprang out of the way much faster than it had for Harry the previous evening. Harry was really panicking now. Why was Snape so upset?

They entered Dumbledore's office together, where the venerable headmaster was reading over a letter from Molly and Arthur Weasley. "Albus, I don't care how important it is that Harry return to his Aunt's house over the summer. Every one of his relations appears to have only his death in the front of their minds."

Harry was surprised at this; why was Snape, Mister "I Hate James Potter And Everything About Him" Snape from what Hagrid had said in Majorca, trying to get him away from the Dursleys?

Snape ranted at Dumbledore for a good minute or so, and when the greasy-haired man quieted down, Dumbledore handed Snape two pieces of parchment. Snape read the one, then the other, and glared at the older man. "Exactly when was this going to be made public?"

"Severus, given your unreasonable request that your reasons be kept secret from Harry, was it wise to bring him here?" dodged Dumbledore deftly.

"I brought him here so that you could see the memories yourself. You never believe without evidence."

"I see. And the fact that you ignored Sybil's warning to use Muffliato should you continue instructing Miss Chang in Occlumency has nothing to do with it?"

"Ixnay on the Vinationdray, and yes; we need to nip Potter's penchant for eavesdropping in the bud."

Dumbledore sighed, and looked Harry in the eyes.
----------
Himeko and Daichi were still scrubbing cauldrons in Snape's office. There was no clock, so they had lost track of time.

"What do you think Dunbadoru's going to do to Harry?" Himeko asked nervously.

Daichi shrugged. "Dumbledore's eccentric, according to Sei and Draco. I'm guessing he'll just be disappointed and guilt Harry into... not doing whatever Snape's upset about him doing."

Himeko frowned. "I wonder if it's something he can be kicked out of school over?"

"Well, what could he have done?" Daichi asked reasonably.

Himeko scratched her head with her dry hand. "I dunno. Maybe he tried to sneak into the third-floor corridor. You know, the one that's forbidden?"

"Yes, but Dumbledore said that anyone foolish enough to go in there would meet with a gruesome fate."

"I'll give you that, but Dunbadoru never said how they would meet with a gruesome fate. What if he's the one to make it gruesome?"

The two children shuddered, and both thought of the same thing. Without saying a word, they darted from the now lifeless office, the cauldrons forgotten. They made their way into the Great Hall, where the gargoyles guarding Dumbledore's office stood watching. "Oi there, you two! Shouldn't you be in your common rooms at this time o' night?"

"We would like to see Headmaster Dunbadoru." Himeko said forcefully.

"No password, no admittance." The gargoyle replied. Himeko and the gargoyle got into a bit of a staring contest. Daichi walked over to the other gargoyle. "Would you tell me what the password is?"

Automatically, the gargoyle replied "Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans."

Himeko smiled as the gargoyles sprung apart, with the one glaring at the other. Riding the ascending staircase, Daichi made a mental note to try that one with the Fat Lady of Gryffindor. Maybe there was a way to sneak into Gryffindor Tower after all.

When the two detention-ditchers finally arrived in the Headmaster's office, they saw Dumbledore and Harry having a staring contest, with Snape just watching.

"Er, professor, why was it urgent that Harry have a staring contest with the headmaster?" Himeko asked.

Snape flinched at the voice and turned around. "How did you two get in here without the password? And why are you here anyway? You should have gone back to your common rooms if you finished with your cauldrons."

"Well, sir, you never actually told us to go back to our houses once we were finished, and we were worried about Harry." Daichi said, slightly smugly.

"Ten points from Slytherin for your cheek, Kobayashi. How did you two get in here, anyway?"

Himeko grinned as Daichi explained. "Nonohara was trying to stare down one of the gargoyles, so I tried asking the other one politely for the password. It worked."

Snape frowned as he processed the information, his eye twitching oddly. "You asked... for the password... and got it?"

"Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans!" Himeko said cheerfully.

"I was unfortunate to come across a vomit-flavored one in my youth," Dumbledore said offhandedly, "and I haven't been terribly fond of them since." He broke eye contact with Harry, and sighed. "Harry, Miss Nonohara, Mister Kobayashi, you three are excused. Severus, I would like to have a number of words with you."

Relieved that he didn't have to scrub cauldrons any more, Harry happily hopped out of the headmaster's office, and Himeko and Daichi followed after. Once the three were clear of the gargoyles, Snape rounded on Dumbledore.

"Well? When were you going to make that public?"

"That depends, Severus, on how quickly we can confiscate Ron Weasley's rat."

"Why would we confiscate his rat? He's allowed to have one!"

Dumbledore sighed. "Have you forgotten already? You yourself were more than willing to go to where the Weasleys lived and expose Peter Pettigrew there, before we were ready to introduce Harry to the bulk of the Wizarding World." Snape flinched at Peter Pettigrew's name. "And need I remind you that we said first-year students could have a cat, or a toad, or an owl? We never said they could have a rat."

Snape just stared at the headmaster, then smiled evilly. "Shall I engineer for next week's potions to be tested on pets should the potions be of dubious quality?"

Dumbledore shook his head. "Too evil, and you'll want to save that for something relatively harmless like a Shrinking Solution anyway. Besides, Himeko told me that things would be much worse if Pettigrew didn't survive."

Snape's face fell into a scowl. "So we're just going to let him run free in the end?"

Dumbledore shook his head. "She only said 'alive'. She never specified that he had to be 'whole.'"

Snape looked at Dumbledore in shock, then his face regained the same evil smile from before. "How very Slytherin of you, Albus."

Dumbledore smiled at the compliment. "So tell me, how is Quirrel doing these days?"

"Well, for starters, our Quirrel doesn't stutter anymore..."

Last Update: Episode 4.2 - Dying in the Past (9/21/2011)
When lives are at stake, there is no such thing as a fair fight.

Last edited by Pokota; May 22nd, 2011 at 5:34 pm.
Sponsored Links