View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2012, 10:57 am
Fifth Year

Sticking genders on books

I have been thinking about how there are so many "girls' reading lists" and "boys' reading lists" out there, or reviewers saying "boys will enjoy this!" "this will get your girls interested in reading!" The reviewers and so on have good intentions, I am positive, but it seems to hinge on certain stereotypes at times--e.g. girls will like books with fluffy animals (I like 'em feline and mean! ), princesses (ick--unless they're a Tudor or Ancient Egyptian or Greek princess ), and pink (only time I like pink is in a sunset/rise). Boys, of course, will only like books with boy protagonists (like Harry Potter or Harry Dresden or Percy Jackson), boatloads of action, and plenty of adventure in wild places. Throw in a dinosaur or two and you're good to go.

Personally I have been more attracted to books that are frequently toted on the boys' list rather than the girls', or at least what I would think would likely be. Animorphs, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson series, Kane Chronicles series, and various other books that I can't think of at the moment. Of course I like(d) my fair share of books that are "for girls only" like Little Women, Laura Ingills, Anne of Green Gables, Secret Garden, and A Little Princess. But I definitely find myself attracted to books with adventure and action, which I believe doesn't make me any less female.

So, the questions.

1. What are your views on putting a specific gender on a book?
2. Do you prefer to read only books assigned to your gender? Why/why not?
3. If you could see all your favourite books magically appear on a bookshelf in your home, would they be more "girls"' books or "boys" books, or a mix?

A PROUD RAVENCLAW
Sponsored Links