View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:11 pm
Suteki da ne

Re: Sticking genders on books

1. What are your views on putting a specific gender on a book?

It's pants, basically. Read what you like. I'm not into the whole "girls should like a, but boys should like B, and the two should never switch" kinda thing. If you wanna read a book about a fighter, or a time traveller, or a princess, or a murderer, read it. As long as it's age appropriate (as in, don't give ten year olds Stephen King or EL James and I'm happy)

2. Do you prefer to read only books assigned to your gender? Why/why not?

I don't think I've ever really seen books specifically aimed at males, and the whole "chick-lit" thing is just fluff, although I do like some of it. I think it's more the perception of the consumer, rather than the publisher. That said, when I mention that I'm a big Harry Potter fan, or a big Stephen King fan, people say "aren't they aimed at men/boys?" To which I argue that there's no label on them. It's the same with everything. To put it into context, even things that are specifically labelled as boys or girls, like toys, I've always laughed at that. I had Sindy dolls and Action Man when I was a kid, and they played together, sometimes stereotypically, but more often side by side, fighting in khaki. It all depends on what you like, and you can't help what you like, be it books, toys, food, films...whatever.

3. If you could see all your favourite books magically appear on a bookshelf in your home, would they be more "girls"' books or "boys" books, or a mix?

Probably a mix. As I mentioned above, I love Stephen King books, but I'm also partial to a bit of chick-lit (although I hate that name), depending on the author. It also helps that a lot of my favourite books are autobiographies, and I think that they are aimed at "fans" as a whole rather than "males or females". But my favourites would be my Harry Potter series, almost my entire Stephen King library, selected books by Marian Keyes and Wendy Holden, a bit of Roald Dahl, and the autobiographies- usually musicians or comedians (my favourites being Peter Kay's first book, Jennifer Saunders, Stephen Fry (Moab is my Washpot and the Fry Chronicles), Geri Halliwell (her two first books), Simon Pegg and John Bishop)

Oh, and my copy of Simpsons World, the 8.8lb Ultimate Guide to the first 20 seasons of The Simpsons...

So yeah, definitely a mix.

If you change your mind
Sponsored Links