View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2011, 3:49 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMotherCrow
Again, I don't think so. To me, Snape appears to have taught by rote. I don't see much difference between being expected to parrot the teacher's directions or parroting a book.
Firstly I don't think Snape taught by rote and I would be interested to know what brought you to this conclusion.

Secondly there is a vast difference between parrotting from a book and parrotting a teachers directions both in real life and in Harry Potter. We know that while he was still a student Snape was improving the potions recipes as they were in the book, and this highlights the difference. A teacher who expects children to parrot the book - as Umbridge did - does not put any effort into the preparation of the lesson nor expects the pupils to learn anything outside the text of the book concerned. In many ways a teacher who parrot from a book is nothing more than a glorified child minder. A teacher who expects the children to parrot his instructions is teaching the children to make potions accurately using the best recipe available. My son is currently doing Food tech and brings home a list of ingredients he needs each week from the recipe which the teacher has supplied rather than it being from a book and I see Snape's teaching of potins in a similar way. If the children try to do things there own way things are not going to turn out particularly well in both potions and food tech. though mistakes seem to be somewhat more dangerous in potions. So I do not see it as a bad thing that Snape insists that the students do things the way he dictates in his class. The homework that Snape set however shows that he wanted his pupils to understand the effect that different ingredients had in potions, and so have a wider knowledge of what was going on in the cauldron and why certain ingredients were used. As such I do not think that Snape taught by rote.

Quote:
It seems to me that Snape took a bitter view of anyone who deviated from the instructions he wrote down.
And rightly so! Any teacher would in a practical subject - particularly one where accidents can be dangerous. I can imagine a chemistry teacher getting very cross if students do not stick to the instructions when conducting experiments.

Quote:
I would not say that he was a teacher that encouraged exploration or experimentation.
Again I do not recall any chemistry teachers encouraging exploration or experimentation in practical sessions. You followed instructions. I would say that the same applies to transfiguration which is also a difficult and dangerous subject, and I don't recall any experimentation or exploration in McGonagall's classes either.

Quote:
I don't think he cared if his students were brilliant, only that they could do the work exactly as he directed with minimal fuss.
I don't see any evidence for this at all. I think he was constantly disappointed by the ineptitude of so many students and the lack of application of most students. He certainly wanted the children to learn and designed his lessons with that aim in mind. Indeed he was a far better teacher than many others we see such as Quirrel, Lockhart, Trelawney and Umbridge.

Quote:
I think Snape discounted Hermione, and her abilities.
I think he was rather inclined to believe that Hermione was unlikely to break school rules.

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
Sponsored Links