View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2007, 4:29 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Remus John Lupin: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Some people lived and died by Harry's construction at #12 and suddenly everything that was written before about Remus went out of the window. I think some even missed the fact that he was acting out of character because they hadn't really consiered his character before that or they had merely considered it in a very light, minor character, unimportant way.
Well said. The brilliant think that JKR does with her characters is show you that they all have their unsavory flaws. We even discover in DH that good ol' Dumbledore has had to struggle with the darker parts of his personality his whole life. I think a lot of people have liked Remus so much because he looked so much like an infallible character: he always seemed calm, always knew the right thing to say in every situation, was able to put his own stuggles behind him to be there for others. But if you really examine his character up to DH, you realize that he always had those flaws that rear their ugly heads so suddenly and violently. I definitely agree that JKR might have done that scene differently to a much greater (and more universally understood) effect, but she does show us that the incident at Grimmauld Place was just that--an incident--and if there's any one thing we're supposed to learn from Remus, it's that you can't judge a person based on one moment or one characteristic. It's pretty obvious that he realizes his mistake and makes amends, and it takes a strong character to own up to such a serious misjudgement.

ETA: Okay, so JKR has revealed in an interview with USA Today that Lupin and Tonks are indeed the two characters she had not initially intended to die:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR, USA Today
There were deaths that were traumatic to write, she says.

"Fred (Weasley, brother of Harry's friend Ron), Lupin (a former teacher at Hogwarts, the school for wizards and witches that Harry attended) and Tonks (Lupin's wife) really caused me a lot of pain," Rowling says.

"Lupin and Tonks were two who were killed who I had intended to keep alive. … It's like an exchange of hostages, isn't it? And I kept Mr. Weasley (Ron's father) alive. He was slated to die in the very, very original draft of the story."
So, what do you all think about this switch that she made? Does it make Remus and Tonks's deaths have more purpose to know who was supposed to die instead? Is that purpose served better/worse by substituting them for Mr. Weasley?

Last edited by Credo Buffa; July 26th, 2007 at 6:19 pm.
Sponsored Links