View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2010, 1:17 am
First Year

Re: Grindelwald: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
I think it was repeated mutilation of the soul that affected one's appearance.
Given the evidence in the canon, I would assume that even the smallest degree of mutilation would somehow affect one's appearance.

Quote:
As to whether Riddle made a horcrux when in school, the Riddle from the diary was said to have looked sixteen years old. He made it when he was in school.
There's more to it it than that and the canonical evidence if far from clear.

Diary-Riddle said that he had decided to leave behind his diary in hope that someone would find it and continue the work of Salazar Slytherin. Yet Riddle never left it behind, but took it with him after leaving Hogwarts and waited nearly three decades before giving it to Lucius Malfoy. This suggests that he never succeeded in making a Horcrux out of it while in school but rather at some point during his adult life. The fact that diary-Riddle is sixteen does not mean that Riddle turned the diary into a Horcrux at that age.

Quote:
The fact that Horcruxes were a banned subject at Hogwarts is irrelevant because Riddle managed to find out about it. Hermione hadn't even heard of the word when Harry asked her. IMO the book on horcruxes was present in the restricted section of the library and Riddle managed to find a way around its protection for unauthorized access.
Hermione had never heard of the word prior to Harry's mention of it, that is true, but she did actually come across it in a book once she began researching the subject (the book did not give any details, however). It is, what I would call a proven fact, that Riddle did not know anything about Horcruxes at the time of his conversation with Slughorn. I presented the evidence for this in my previous post , yet you have provided me with nothing but groundless assumptions and several contradictions of the canon.

Quote:
I agree that he didn't seem to know about the process when he was talking about Slughorn. I think he had the basic idea that it split your soul and he wanted Slughorn's opinion on how multiple horcruxes would work.
Could you please provide the evidence for this?

Quote:
IMO he was misguided but he believed it to an extent. He had no reason to debate it with Dumbledore otherwise. Dumbledore here was not someone who could be fooled by propaganda talk. To me it sounds like an ambitious project that two extremely intelligent and talented boys decided to start.
I think Dumbledore was infatuated with Grindelwald and was simply deluding himself into thinking that Grindelwald was one of the good guys. Grindelwald on the other hand was trying to delude others with a lot of impressive talk about the greater good, imo (Dumbledore certainly fell for it). Dumbledore actually believed in Grindelwald's ideas and their friendship was very fortunate for Grindelwald (who had cleverly constructed a fake ideology in order to conceal his true intentions) because he finally had someone who could help him gain what he desired most - power. JMHO, of course.

Quote:
I don't deny that he was power hungry and wanted domination but I think to some extent he believed he was helping people.
I think he was consciously trying to fool people into believing that he was helping them, when in fact he never cared for anyone but himself.

Quote:
The only thing Voldemort cared about was himself.
The same goes for Grindelwald, imo. The only difference is that Grindelwald is said to have felt some remorse for his deeds.

Quote:
it seems Grindelwald had no problems with Dumbledore sharing the spotlight with him.
I think he was using Dumbledore. Dumbledore was brilliant and truly dedicated to Grindelwald's fake cause and that was of course advantageous for Grindelwald. In the end though, I don't think Grindelwald would ever let anyone else share the spotlight. I think he would have gotten rid of Dumbledore once he was done with him.

Sponsored Links