View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:57 pm
First Year

Re: Seven Years And Counting

~~~

Chapter Fifteen
I'm Spying On the Dark Angels

~~~

"We've been talking with one another for quite some time now." Noah said awkwardly.

"Mmhmm," was Addie's response. She was pouting and currently trying to decide if she should go and talk to James.

"I want to thank you for being a friend to me." He tried again to no avail.

"Hmm."

"You have a terrific arse."

"Yeah."

"Addie! Seriously? I'm trying to talk to you here!" Noah laughed, waving a hand in front of the pixie-do girl. She finally paid attention to him with wide blue eyes. If he didn't know any better, he would have thought she forgot he was even there.

"I'm sorry, Noah!" She said guiltily. "I'm just confused on what to do. James' brother is in the Hospital Wing, their dad came to the school again, and this whole thing with Professor Wilkes has really got me thinking something is not right."

Noah sighed and decided to give up. He had asked her if they could talk over an hour ago and she was so distracted that his attempt on asking her to be his girlfriend was going nowhere. Still, he understood what was upsetting her and decided his needs could wait for another time and place.

"Have you talked to him?" Noah asked, referring to James. Over the last couple of weeks Addie had been so cross with the other boy that she decided they were no longer on speaking terms. This resulted to her acting downright childish at times and Noah had to remind her more than once she was being foolish. She still hadn't gone to talk to him yet, but with all of his current family problems Noah could tell it was killing her not to go to her friend.

"Not yet." She bit her lip and blushed.

"And why not?" Noah asked sternly and crossed his arms. He was ready to give his "childish" speech again.

"I don't even know if he wants to see me! With his brother in the Hospital Wing, the way I treated him, and whatever else may be going on that I don't know about, I'm probably the last thing on his mind."

The excuses were the same as yesterday's. She was holding back from talking to James when he needed her most. Noah was working hard on getting her to do so, however, even though he hated having to do it. There was a part of him that was secretly jealous of James Potter and he had a good reason to be. Addie practically idolized her best friend and had more feelings toward the other boy than she lead on. Noah only knew this because he had been watching her in their friendship this whole term.

Addie was falling for James and it was easy to see. However, James thinks of her in a sisterly way. That much was easy for Noah to see as well. James also has a Hufflepuff girlfriend, meaning he didn't notice Addie's signs like Noah did. It hurt a bit to watch the girl he liked pine for someone so oblivious, but he was slowly getting used to it.

Over the last couple of months Addie and Noah had become good friends. He still thought about Molly and how much he missed her, but not so much when Addie was around. He liked to think the same thing happened when Addie was around him. Molly had moved on now, however, and Noah figured it was time for him to do so as well. When the time was right, he would ask the younger girl to be his girlfriend. Eventually she would get over James, and all of her feelings would be saved for the Australian and he was willing to wait for that day. Addie was healthy for him. James for Addie on the other hand? Not so much.

"OK, I"ll go talk to him," she concluded, snapping Noah out of his thoughts. He watched as she stood and took two steps away from the table, stopped, hunched over, and then came back.

"Yes?" Noah smirked, fully aware that she had psyched herself out.

"Will you come with me?"

He let out a playful, exasperated sigh.

"I suppose I could come along." He said. Addie beamed up at him and then quickly grabbed him by the hand and dragged him toward James and Will's direction.

When the pair reached the boy of interest, James looked up tiredly at the two. Both he and Noah looked at Addie expectantly. Neither of them knew what she was going to say.

"Will," she said, turning to the other boy who rolled his eyes. All three of the boys rolled their eyes in fact, for that was not what they expected. "I'm sorry for the way I used you this last week. I was acting like a complete child and I promise I won't do it again."

Again the three boys were surprised and Addie basked in their wonderment. She smiled and then planted herself right beside James, grabbed his hand, and placed her head on his shoulder. This act didn't seem to phase James at all, but Noah felt his blood boil ever so slightly. He remained standing.

"What about you, Jamesie-pooh? Can you forgive a little ol' gal such as myself?" She batted her eyelashes at him and James couldn't help but smile.

"I guess..." he replied playfully. Addie released a squeal of joy and reached up to plant a kiss on his cheek. Again, James didn't seem to mind, but Noah's fists clenched tightly. He wasn't expecting her to be that apologetic.

After that it seemed as though everything was forgotten. It was like James never forgot about the party Addie threw for him and had ditched her for some rondevu around the castle with Angel, something Addie hadn't let Noah forget since Halloween. It was like Addie was never mad at James and used Will as her fall-to guy for communication for nearly a whole week. It was like she had forgotten Noah had been the one by her side practically all term while her friends had bigger and better things to do or worry about.

The two of them started informing each other of everything they missed in the last week. Will sat off to the side looking as bored as ever.

"So you and your dad think Chloe was the one giving Al the Amortentia?" Addie asked, her brow furrowed and face disgusted.

"We know so. Dad doesn't believe Professor Wilkes gave it to her." James informed her.

"But she was on Veritaserum!"

"Dad thinks there is darker magic involved. We are talking about the possible rise of a new Dark Lord after all." James said. Noah's eyes widened. He had heard nothing about this. Is that why the Ministry was here? he wondered. James didn't seem aware he had just let slip valuable information however.

"What does Al have to say about it?" Addie asked, and her closeness level to James snapped Noah out of his thoughts and he sent the couple a death glare. Will noticed this.

"He honestly doesn't know who exactly gave him the potion. It was so strong he was not himself at all, Addie. You should have seen him. He just goes off of what we tell him, and really, we don't have any proof if we can't believe what Wilkes says."

"How is he?"

"I was just about to go down and see him. Would you like to come?"

"Sure!" Addie exclaimed, and for the first time during the whole conversation her attention snapped to her other two friends. "Are you guys coming?"

Noah thought about it but decided he didn't want to see Addie coddle over James any more than he had to. Plus, he blew off his plans with Ethan to meet up with Addie because he was supposed to ask her out.

"No thanks, but send him my well wishes," he said. Addie nodded and turned to Will who shook his head.

"Nah, I'll just stay back here with Noah. I went yesterday." Said the other boy.

Without a second thought, Addie lead James out of the Gryffindor common room. It was almost as if she were glad neither boy decided to come.

Maybe this was a bad idea, he thought as he sat next to Will.

The other boy waited a moment before asking, "Are you and Addie dating?"

"We're going to the wedding together, Will- we already discussed this," Noah sighed and leaned his head back over the couch. "You can find another date to the wedding."

"No, not that. I mean, are you dating?" Will seemed rather annoyed with Noah's assumption.

"Oh...No," Noah said but then suddenly beamed. "Why? Does it look like we are?"

"Only sometimes," Will said blatantly.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I dunno. Just that you two hang out a lot, and you both seem to like one another, but then you let her run around with James like that!" He indicated toward the exit where the mentioned couple had just left.

"I'm not going to stop her from seeing her best friend," Noah said quietly. Not that I would have a choice, he thought.

"What a loud of rubbish!" Will said suddenly and Noah looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Addie and I are best friends and you don't see her all over me like that do you? No, thank God." He answered his own question.

Noah thought about what Will said and decided the younger boy had a point. He was losing Addie the more she tried to reach out for James. If he doesn't ask her out soon, Addie will wind up getting hurt and blaming James for it all.

"Our friendship will be ruined if they date, you know?" Will snapped Noah out of his current thoughts. "If they ever dated, it would never last and all of our friendships would be over."

"That's a bit drastic don't you think?" Noah smirked.

"Is it?"

Noah thought about it. Of course he hoped Addie would have all the best of luck if it ever came down to her dating James, but Will had a point. If the two ever broke up, Will would be caught in the middle once more and with the events of the trio's last dispute, they wouldn't last long before all hell let loose.

"So when are you going to ask her out?" Will asked rather impatiently.

This time the answer didn't take much thought for Noah. He knew when the perfect time to ask Addie to be his girlfriend was.

"At her mum's wedding."

~~~

James and Addie were just leaving the Hospital Wing when Rose decided visiting Al would be a good idea. She did, after all, have something very important to talk to him about.

"See you a dinner," she told the two Gryffidnors once they parted. They had just told her that Madam Pomfery would be releasing Al tomorrow morning.

So now is the best time to tell him about Scorpios, she thought.

When Rose walked into the Hospital Wing she noticed Al was the only patient. He was half asleep due to whatever tonic the school Healer gave him but Rose was determined to talk to him.

"How are you feeling, cuz?" She asked as a small but hopeful smile crossed her lips.

"Disturbed," Albus said groggily, but he chuckled slightly. "I keep dreaming about making out with an eleven year old. The Amortentia hasn't completely worn off yet." Rose didn't find the joke as funny as he did.

"Do you know what happened?" She asked in order to change the subject. She knew he didn't know, but she hoped bits and pieces would come back to him.

"Besides what everyone has told me? Chloe spiked my drink with Amortentia for some reason but Professor Wilkes took the blame for it. That's what I've been told."

Rose sighed and sat at the foot of his bed. Everyone knew that story. To Rose, however, it still didn't make sense. She was catching on to more things going on around Hogwarts since she became certain Scorpios was part of the new group of "wanna-be Death Eaters".

"Why would Chloe do that, though? Why were you hanging around her?" She asked, determined to get more answers.

"Why not?" Albus defended. Rose raised her eyebrow at his non-specified question. "I mean, why not hang out with her? She's in my House and I thought she was a nice girl who needed friends."

Rose was completely flabbergasted at this response. Her mouth gaped for a moment, opening and closing before she found what she wanted to say.

"She's an Arndale, Al! What makes you think you could trust her?" She shrieked.

"The same reason you believed you could trust Malfoy! We were both wrong!" Al retorted and crossed his arms in a huff. Rose worried that if he didn't quiet down soon Madam Pomfrey would come kick her out for distressing her patient. Then Rose realised something in Albus' words.

"How would you know that I have a reason not to trust Scorpios anymore?" She asked slowly and quietly. Albus then had his fair turn at gaping for an answer.

"Mum and Dad told me you sent a letter home!" He concluded confidently.

"But you told them I was crazy!" she barked, still a little upset by the words of her younger cousin. He blushed and sank down into his bed. "You said the same reason I thought I could trust Malfoy. So You've seen him acting strange in the common room? Do you have reason to believe he is a part of this whole Dark Lord thing?"

"I just meant you trusted him with your heart, Rose." Albus mumbled, not bothering to look up at her. She didn't believe him, but she didn't get a chance to confront him either.

"Ah, Weasley has come to see her dear little cousin. You almost done yet?" Jackson Winters sneered from behind her. She grimaced at his presence and then looked over at Albus. He noticeably paled and looked extremely nervous.

"What are you doing here, Winters?" she spat, facing his direction once more. The older boy smirked and walked to the side of Albus' bed.

"I'm a Prefect and he's in my House. I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't come check on him."

Rose was unsure of the older boy. She had reason to believe he was definitely a part of this new group, and James had said Jackson was with Chloe when he saw her give Albus a drink. She didn't trust him around her cousin at all.

"Well he is OK with no thanks to you, so you can just-"

"-Rose, it's OK. I've actually been meaning to talk to him. You know, for the whole Arndale incident since she is in our House..." Albus interrupted her, trailing off in the end.

She eyed the two for a moment before standing and deciding to leave the two boys alone. She kissed Al's forehead and left the Hospital Wing. As soon as the doors shut behind her, she reached into her robe pockets for an extendable ear. It was something she grew used to carrying around now that she trusted practically no one. She placed the device against the door, placed her own ear to it, and then listened intently.

"It seems as though both you and Malfoy are keen on letting that Weasley girl know everything. We may have to do something about her," came the low, creepy voice of Jackson.

"You know darn well he's not doing any such thing, and she came to check up on me. She's my cousin!" Albus defended.

"I think she's on to us."

"She knows nothing but the fact someone is trying to rise a new Dark Lord to power."

"Lysander told me he saw Malfoy and the girl have a little spat the other day. I'm sure she's written home already."

"I doubt it," Albus said weakly. Rose wanted to curse him for allowing his voice to give the truth away.

"Well I sure hope she did, or else the number I did on Scorpios would have been such a waste." Jackson laughed darkly and Rose felt shivers spread all over her body.

"What did you do to him?"

"I'm sure you'll find out soon enough once someone stumbles across his body."

"You're disgusting!"

"I'm protecting us! I'd do the same to Chloe for messing this whole thing up, but as it is, she's been taken care of."

"Did you hurt her, too?" Albus asked in an almost too hopeful voice. It disgusted Rose, but something needed to be done to the girl. She was getting away with far too much.

"I want to keep my head, so no, Potter. I didn't harm her."

"Why did you guys do it? Everyone has told me you must be a part of this whole Amortentia thing."

"Says who?"

"My brother and my father. It would seem as though you're not as careful as you thought, Jackson."

"Really? Because Chloe has been in questioning all week and yet here I am."

"Oh shove off! I knew you were a part of it and I know why, too."

"Enlighten me."

"You were afraid I would run off and tell without being able to control me. You can't Imperius for obvious reasons, but you can make me listen to someone who has to take orders from you. Well, you were wrong, Jackson. Even without being possessed, I haven't said a word about anything. I'm with you guys now."

"Is that so?" Jackson mused. Rose was feeling very sick. "Alright, so you're right. But there are more advantages to having you quite literally under our spell than you think."

"Oh really? Like what?"

"You shall see when the time comes. As for now, I need to tell you what I came here for."

"You're not here to see if I've blabbed."

"Neither of us would be here now if you had. Plus, you told me yourself that you're with us. Right?"

There was only a very brief pause before Albus said, "Right."

"We have a new Potions professor."

"That's what you've come to tell me? I'm sure someone else could have told me or I would have figured it out tomorrow morning when I return to class."

"I just wanted to be the one to pass the news on to you."

"So it was to see if I blabbed?"

"A little, but I doubted that you did."

"Well could you at least tell me who it is?"

"Ah yes. Dear old McGonagall has hired Professor Wilkes' husband for the time being while his Mrs. is waiting for her trial."

"So we're trading one crazy for another?"

"Watch your tongue, Potter!"

"Move out of the way! Injured body coming through!" This voice did not come from inside the Hospital Wing, but directly behind Rose. She quickly jerked away from the door, taking the extendable ear with her, and noticed six oncoming people who were all frantically running in her direction.

"Open the door, you idiot!" One of the six people she didn't know snapped at her.

Without thinking, Rose did as she was told and stepped back to let the group of green clad people pass her. It was then that she realised the group was the Slytherin Quidditch team and there was something, or someone, in the middle of their close-knit huddle. She could only assume they were concealing the injured body the first voice mentioned.

That was when Rose Weasley's blood turned cold. She thought back and remembered what Jackson had said about Scorpios. She fought back the urge to scream right then and there. Without thinking, she followed the group.

Jackson was no longer talking to Albus. Instead, he was sitting back and watching as Madam Pomfrey rushed to the scene and demanded someone fill her in at once. Rose almost didn't hear the explanation as the group of Slytherin Quidditch players hoisted an unconscious Scorpios onto one of the beds. He was mangled and bloody from head to toe and one of his arms stuck out in a way that told her it was broken. All the while Albus noticed her presence and saw the extendable ear still in her hand. Wide-eyed, he gestured for her to hide it in her pocket. He knew she would know what happened to Scorpios no matter what excuse his team members came up with.

"We were supposed to have a Quidditch practice today, Madam." Chris Jacobs filled in the frantic older woman. Pomfrey was immediately healing all and any visible wounds while listening intently. "Oh! Hey, Al!"

"Mr. Jacobs, please focus!" Madam Pomfrey persisted.

"Huh?" Oh! Right!" Chris registered the situation and retold what he thought happened to Scorpios. "We were supposed to practice today, but when we all showed up, Scorpios was no where to be found. After waiting for a while we decided it would be best to begin practice without him. When we went on to the pitch and flew around for a while, Carl noticed a body in the gutters and flagged us down. We assume he started practice before we all met up and fell off his broom."

"Bull sh-" Rose started, but Albus sent her a warning stare and Jackson stared at her curiously.

"Miss Weasley? What are you doing here?" Madam Pomfrey turned to her quickly before resuming her work on Scorpios. "Do you have a different story?"

With her new-found information on the truth behind both Scorpios and Albus, Rose decided it would be wise to lie.

"I call bull," she continued with less gusto. "Scorpios is too good of a flyer to have simply fallen. He was probably practicing dodging Bludgers and then got hit." She finished lamely.

"That would explain the damage to the side of his head," Pomfrey added off-handedly. "Were you there, Miss Weasley?"

"No," the red head said, remembering Jackson would know if she was lying or not. "I was just on my way down to watch the practice because I love watching Scorpios play. I was running late though because I stopped to check on Al first." Rose eyed her cousin to see if her story would pass his test. He gave her the tiniest hint of a nod and Jackson grinned. They all bought her story.

"Alright, well there's nothing to worry about here. I can have him fixed and mended fast enough, but he may have to stay a night or two. I think it would be best if everyone made their way out of here and allowed Mr. Malfoy some rest." Pomfrey was shooing them out with one hand while the other was holding her wand and conjuring bandages that found their way wrapped around Scorpios' respective injured body parts.

"Madam Pomfrey, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to talk with Rose for a minute," Albus requested as everyone started filing out with various different complaints.

"Miss Weasley should probably make her way to the Great Hall for dinner, Mr. Potter." The Healer advised, but Al didn't give up.

"It will only be five minutes. Please?"

The older woman rolled her eyes and agreed.

"But not a minute longer! You have to eat, too!" Was the last thing she said before running to her office to gather more supplies for Scorpios' scary looking limp body. Rose, who was suddenly feeling very bad for having ignored Scorpios and treating him the way she did, walked to the blond boy's bedside and held his hand.

I should have listened to him she thought, staring at his freshly scarred face due to whatever in the hell it was that Jackson did to him.

"Rose?" Albus started in a small voice as if he expected her to blow up any minute. She took the focus off of her best friend (and current crush) and turned on her cousin with fire in her eyes.

"Alright, Albus Severus Potter. You have five minutes to explain everything to me now."

~~~

Albus knew Rose would be mad at him. He saw her come in with an extendable ear in her hand. It didn't take him long to figure out she must have heard Jackson and his entire conversation. In fact, he felt like a giant idiot now just because he didn't think about her doing something like that. He knew her suspicions were up every since she sent that letter to his Aunt and Uncle. He should have told Jackson they would have to talk another time because now he had a lot of awkward explaining and convincing to do.

"There isn't much time left, Albus!" Rose snapped hotly, waiting impatiently for him to explain what had been said before Scorpios came in. While he was searching for words, however, Rose seemed ready to fire her own questions at him.

"Are you seriously a part of that- that group of crazy people? What will your Mum and Dad say? Jesus, Al, what will the Wizarding World say?" Rose errupted, her temper getting the best of her so Albus had to shush her so Madam Pomfrey wouldn't come rushing in.

"OK, let me explain-"

"-I want the truth this time!" Rose demanded before he could go any further. He nodded in agreement.

"Fair enough. OK, first off: No. I am not a part of the group. Yes, Rose - I said "not really" - I'm spying on them. I got a little head-deep last time, but I'm going to make sure it doesn't happen again."

"Happen again? Al, don't tell me you plan on going back? You're an idiot enough for having thought you could do it by yourself in the first place!" Rose already had it in her head that she was going to scold him the whole time. He could tell. If he told her the truth, she would blow his whole cover while she scolded him however, an idea ran through his mind as he remembered standing behind his parent's study door all those weeks ago just after Molly had left him.

"Rose, I don't have much time. Please, let me explain." He paused and waited to see if she would have a response. After a couple of seconds when she didn't say anything, he started what must have been his thousandth lie since the start of term.

"Mum, Dad, and the whole Ministry in fact, know that I'm spying on the Dark Angels - that's what the group calls themselves. There were rumours last year about the rise of a new Dark Lord and how students at Hogwarts seemed to be getting involved. Figuring the students were Slytherin, Dad and Shaklebolt asked me to keep an eye out on things at school. They want me to find out who it is they are trying to rise to power."

"Have you found out yet?" Rose asked quietly and in complete shock.

"No," Albus said, glad to have answered something honestly for once. Another "great idea" came to mind. "That's why you need to stop sending letters to home. IF something seems out of place, come to me about it. Since you're not supposed to know about what's going on, everyone has to pretend like they don't know and show up so as to not let everyone else feel abandoned. Every time someone from the Ministry shows up it takes me back one step farther in find out out who the leader is. you need to trust me in this Rose." To his surprise, the older girl simply nodded and her gaze fell toward Scorpios. Immediately he knew what she was thinking.

"Is he really such a monster?" she asked solemnly. She still had a hold of his hand.

"Er, no... He's helping me out actually." Albus said. It wasn't really a lie. It was like Scorpios had told him. Even if you decline the Dark Angels' invitation, they will get you. Rose seemed to have a mixture of relief and concern plastered on her face.

"Are you two going to get hurt anymore?" She asked with pure fear in her eyes. Albus cringed on the inside, knowing full well they would.

"Not if we keep quiet. I know this will be hard to hear, Rose, but the more you stay away from us, the safer you will be, and the safer Scor and I will be. That goes for everyone. You must know how important it is you don't tell anyone else."

Rose contemplated this promise for a moment. She took so long in fact, Albus was worried Madam Pomfrey would return and kick her out before she ever promised him. Then she shared a very sympathetic look with him.

"This is only until you find out who it is that is trying to come to power and then you tell everyone in the Ministry correct?"

Albus nodded.

"then I guess pretending that I know nothing about this is the best I can do to keep everyone safe. Can't I just let Mum and dad know that I know and let them know I can help, too? I'm sure they can't all be Slytherins..."

"No!" Al sat straight up in his bed. "Er... You can't do that because... Because they track the owls. If the Dark Angels see that you're trying to tip off anyone, especially the Ministry, they will come after you!" Albus was actually sure this was possibly partly true. They did get to Scorpios after all...

"Well, how do you relay information to Uncle Harry?" She asked, but Albus was saved from having to answer due to Madam Pomfrey hustling back in.

"Alright, Miss Weasley! Five minutes is up! You best go eat before the desserts come!" She shooed Rose out and placed a tray of food by Albus' bed.

"I promise!" Was all Rose was able to get out before she was practically pushed out by Madam Pomfrey. Albus, on the other hand, didn't feel all that convinced.

Feedback

Hello! I'm Maelody, and these are my stories! Check them out and review please! Seven Years and Counting/Feedback, The Bravest Man I Ever Knew/Feedback, Dying: A One-Shot/Feedback, Just One Memory: A One-Shot/Feedback, A Thousand Years/Feedback, Australian Blur/Feedback, Spiders, Dragons, and Love: A One-Shot/Feedback, Inside and Under: A One-Shot/Feedback, Eun Ae: A Misfit's Guide to Hogwarts/Feedback!
I made a little forum based off of CoS for those that will miss the site when it is gone. Have a look and see if it something you'd like to be a part of?

Last edited by Maelody; February 9th, 2014 at 9:50 pm.
Sponsored Links