View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:25 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

I voted Outstanding. There were a few disappointments but I began reading it with an open mind and knew that not everything would work out exactly as I wanted it to. I did have mixed feelings when I first finished it but I am now rereading it at a slower pace and loving every minute of it.

I loved the fleshing out of Dumbledore's character. It made him so real and I'm glad we learned so much about him. To me, he is one of the most fascinating characters in the series. I also really loved how Dobby's death was written. It was so beautiful and touching and I cried so much. I loved the Snape/Lily storyline. The chapter entitled 'The Prince's Tale' is absolutely fantastic and intense and brilliantly written. I cheered out loud when the full argument between Snape and Dumbledore was revealed and I gasped and then began sobbing when it was revealed that the doe patronus was Snape's-so, so moving and totally unexpected! I did not see that coming!

I enjoyed some of the smaller things. I thought Xenophilius Lovegood for instance was a brilliant character-so weird and wonderful! I absolutely adored how the Ravenclaws enter their common room! How great is that? It's the little touches like this that made me fall in love with the series in the first place.

I'm still not sure how to feel about the ending. I read 'The Forest Again' chapter and it had me sobbing. To think that Harry was sacrificing himself with such bravery! I have never really had an opinion on Harry's fate. I never really speculated about it and I have never really wanted it either way in particular. But at the end of this chapter, I was thinking 'Thank you, thank you Jo! This is perfect. This all fits and makes sense!' I loved it. I thought that Harry would go on and meet his lost ones and that Neville would deal with Nagini and then Voldemort would be left alive but weak, broken, his soul ruined.

But then Harry was allowed to return and I admit my heart sank a little. Though having said that, I did love the duel between Harry and Voldemort and I cheered when Harry used 'expelliarmus'. I liked that Neville had his moment and Molly's scream to Bellatrix 'You-will-never-touch-our-children-again!' gave me goosebumps. For some reason I liked the similarities between Bellatrix and Sirius's deaths. I loved, loved, loved it when Harry called Voldemort Tom Riddle and gave him 'one last chance' to 'try for some remorse'. Harry's character grew so much in this book and I felt so proud of him. So I guess I'm glad that Harry didn't die because it just wouldn't have seemed right if there hadn't been a duel.

At first I was disappointed with the epilogue because it is a bit cheesy and I wished there was more detail. But now I love it. If anything, this is one of the greatest things Jo could have done, introducing the children of our favourite characters and not including lots of detail. It is almost like a present to all the crazy fans who can now continue to speculate and discuss the Harry Potter world. Plus, after all of Harry's suffering and everything he has been through, it is nice that he finally got some happiness and normality.

The only thing I really disliked about this book was the casulness of Lupin's death. I felt that it was such an injustice to such a brilliant character. I barely even cried though Lupin has always been one of my favourite characters. It just didn't seem real and I couldn't take it in. I wish it hadn't happened 'off-screen'.

But despite that, I really love the book. It was so intense and I literally could not put it down. I am now really looking forward to reading the whole series and looking for all the hints and clues in the previous books. It is going to be so much fun!

Sponsored Links