View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2011, 1:51 am
Seventh Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?

For me, GoF. GoF has some really hilarious scenes, such as Draco being transformed into a ferret. It has tons of excitement, such as when Harry battles the dragon, and also when he fights Voldy in the graveyard. I cry every time Cedric's father cries over his son's body. I laugh at some of the over acting, especially Gambon's "SILENCE." The deleted scenes are particularly funny. After interesting entrances by Durmstrang and Beaubatons, Hogwarts goes into it's school song, and I love the expressions on people's faces - it's as if they're trying to be kind, and not say what they really think. Also love the deleted scene where Karkaroff tries to confront Snape about the darkening dark mark at the Yule Ball, and I'm not surprised they cut it - I can't see Karkaroff being foolish enough to discuss it out in the open like that.

DH2, my second fave, is absolute perfection, right up until the last 30 minutes or so. I thought Harry's final battle with Voldy seemed lackluster, and I didn't like how his body just turned into pieces. Didn't like the Elder Wand being snapped. For the parts I do like, I have to really be in the mood to watch it. I cry when the dragon flies away from Gringotts, and when Lavender is seen dead, and then Snape dies, when Ron and Molly cry over Fred's body, and the Prince's Tale, and when Harry uses the Resurruction Stone and talks to his mother, etc.

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?

"Momma loves you. Dada loves you. Harry, be safe. Be strong."
-lily, DH2

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?

I loved SS / PS. I thought Chris Columbus did a marvelous job making the Wizarding World seem so magical. Like Harry, i was completely entranced.

Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?

Up until the last movie, i would have definitely said yes, but I thought Yates did a great job and perhaps a better job with the darker subject matter than the previous directions would have done.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.

Definitely the Coming of Age for the trio. I really enjoyed watching Harry grow up and mature throughout the films, and in the end, willingly give his life for his friends and what was right.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?

Acting wise - Alan Rickman. He was often given the tiniest, briefest lines, but he could do more with the subtlest motions and glances than many actors can do with pages and pages of dialogue, I think. Script wise - hard to say. JKR wrote so many great lines for the characters, which ended up included in the movies.

Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?

Geraldine Somerville - thought she did an amazing job with Lily. She made the character completely sympathetic and flawless, I thought.

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies?

Very much so. the music adds to the surroundings.

Who is your favourite music composer?

Hard to say. I really enjoyed both Williams and Desplat

Which soundtrack is your favourite?

I loved both the magical, upbeat sounds of SS and the exciting, gut wrenching music of DH2.

What is your favourite music track?

For me, it's a 4 way tie between SS's Hedwig's Theme, and the opening of Christmas, and DH2's Courtyard and Snape's Demise

Overall verdict

Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?

Absolutely.

My list of favorite movies, in order:

1) GoF
2) DH2
3) SS / PS
4) HBP
5) CoS
6) PoA
7) OotP
8) DH1

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown

Last edited by MerryLore; December 10th, 2011 at 2:05 pm.
Sponsored Links