View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2011, 3:35 pm
First Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?

It's very hard for me to choose between 4 and 8. I adore Goblet of Fire, and I adore Deathly Hallows 2 for different reasons. If forced to choose, I'd probably go for 8 (that's what I voted for, anyway).

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?

Impossible to choose only one, but The Prince's Tale is right up there, and I love the way it builds up. I am also deeply moved when McGonagall, Flitwick. Slughorn and Molly place the protection around the school before the Battle of Hogwarts, and I love the score here, and the sound of the words in the protective spells. I love the Yule Ball, too, Draco being turned into a ferret, the very well handled tension amonst the trio in the tent in DH1, and Harry and Hermione's dance - I find the choice of song extremely moving and appropriate, showing how the weight of the world is upon these very young, very brave people. And I see it as Harry trying to cheer Hermione up and a reflection of their friendship and how devastating the loss of Ron is. There are very moving moments in POA too - I love Harry's Patronus chasing away the Dementors, and the talk with Lupin on the bridge.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.

Probably the first of these.

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?

I think they all produced excellent work. I find Columbus's pace too slow (especially in the first film - it ruins the climax at the end - and could those chess pieces have moved any more slowly, or with less tension?), but I can't fault how he brought the magical world of Harry Potter alive. Terrific scenes like all Harry's Hogwarts letters arriving, Diagon Alley, the Dursleys, and Hagrid finding them at last.

As a film, I felt the third was better than the first two. A beautiful film, well paced, beautiful outdoor scenery used, and serious themes handled with more depth. James and Lily's sacrifice seems to be felt, not just stated, as if we are starting to properly understand it for the first time - due in part to the haunting. thoughtful tone and music and largely, too, to the excellent portrayal of Remus Lupin. Sirius Black, too, is very well portrayed (this performance/portrayal has grown on me over several viewings, and I can't fault it now). Also, I think the tension in the Shrieking Shack, leading up the the final revelation - with the 3 surviving Marauders and Snape - is much more fluent and effective than it is in the book.

I love the joy, colour, magic and romantic tone of the 4th film. I already loved Patrick Doyle's romantic scores, and I feel it was so right for this film. It wouldn't have been for any of the others, and I'm so glad he scored this one. In a way, it's the last one before things become deadly serious, and the way this is so expertly and and lovingly captured makes it very special. The death of Cedric Diggory, and Dumbledore's speech for him, were also very moving.

I wasn't keen on David Yates's direction at first, but I liked 6 better than 5, and 7 and 8 are very good indeed. I wasn't keen on his pacing at first, and I still feel that number 5 drags, but he was handling a world that had grown much more sinister. The performances and chemistry of the Trio were moving and excellent in 7 and 8, and I think we partly have Yates to thank for this.

Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?

No. They all brought very special things to the series. As did the four composers, and I wonder if we would have had four different ones without the change of direction, or rather if we'd have had those particular composers.

Composers

Love Patrick Doyle's rich, romantic, joyful scores, and so happy that he was the composer for Film 4. Love the magical hallmark themes such as Hedwig's, that we automatically think of when we think of Harry Potter. Desplat's themes are very haunting. Not as familiar with Hooper's music, but the music as Harry and Dumbledore approach the (previous) location of the locket Horcrux is very memorable, as is Dumbledore's Farewell Cue when it reappears in The Prince's Tale. So I'm not going to pick one - they all bring very special qualities to the different films.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?

Many perfect, or near-perfect portrayals: Lupin, Hagrid, Sirius, Mad-Eye Moody, McGonagall, Argus Filch, Draco. Love the Weasley Twins. I prefer Michael Gambon's Dumbledore's to Richard Harris, although I needed a little time to get used to it. Snape excellent too, although I wasn't quite convinced by "younger, grief-stricken Snape" in The Prince's Tale. I think the Trio were great too, though - the way they had developed by the end could qualify them for the best portrayals too. I can't really pick one performance that stands out over the others; there are too many. Yaxley was convincingly nasty and very memorable, too. Voldemort and Bellatrix also excellent.

Greatest acting revelation

The Trio, but especially Daniel Radcliffe. He had the hardest part, in my opinion, and I love his performance in the last two films.

Cinematography etc

3 for the beautiful outdoor and Patronus scenes; 7 for Godric's Hollow and the churchyard and the lost, "road movie" feel, 8 for the Battle of Hogwarts.

The costumes and sets were consistently excellent.

Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?

Yes, very. I like some of the films more than others, but I do love them all, and they capture the essence and magic of the books spectacularly well.

Last edited by Charity_Burbage; December 14th, 2011 at 3:59 pm.
Sponsored Links