Thread: Brains & Braun
View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2006, 5:13 am
Third Year

Re: Brains & Braun

Whirlwind of Thoughts

The night before leaving for King’s Cross, Hermione Granger sat comfortably on the settee, the reflection in her eyes burned deep as she sat hypnotized with the crackling sound and wild dance of the fire that escaped from the Gryffindor fireplace. Hermione could honestly say that her first school year as a witch had been the best time of her life; although she had been unintentionally thrown into chaos the moment she had befriended Harry Potter and Ron Weasley.

A whirlwind of memories drowned the noise the rest of her peers made. Images of Harry flying on his broom while playing Quidditch on the Gryffindor team as seeker, only to be dangling moments later by an unseen force. Hagrid and his new pet dragon Norbert; being caught by Filch after giving Norbert to Ron’s dragon tamer brother, Charlie; detention in the Forbidden Forest; the discovery of the philosopher’s stone, fashioned to give immortal life to its creator, Nicholas Flammel. Finally, deciding to enter the trap door the three-headed dog guarded. It was here that there bravery, friendship and loyalty to one another was tested. Although she sat near the roaring fire, Hermione could not help but shiver, as her mind was flooded with all these images.

The only sounds that kept her mind aware that she was sitting safely in the Gryffindor common room were the sudden outbursts her two best friends made while playing the barbaric game of wizard’s chess.

She smiled to herself as she watched him play chess, his freckled face set in deep concentration as he strategically made his next move. Hermione remembered the moment she realized her feelings for Ronald Weasley was more than mere friendship.

Hermione never understood why she sometimes felt awkward around him. At first she thought she felt threatened by his height, but then she rather liked his height it was useful in moments where her small stature was an obstacle. Like in the library, he always brought down any book she requested that was at the very top of the bookshelf. She then thought about how he could never take anything serious or how temperamental he was. There were times where she thought his ridiculous comments were quite funny and ironically insightful. She was big fan of his temperament, but she soon discovered he was passionate about many things, just as she was passionate about her studies.

It was the night they had chosen to go after the philosopher’s stone Hermione discovered how important Ron was to her. Already aware of the possible enchantments placed to protect the stone, it had first annoyed Hermione when she saw Ron panic in the devil’s snare. She was then impressed watching him manoeuvre himself on a broom, he flew gracefully as he helped Harry seek out the key that would allow them to enter the next room. Once the key was caught by Harry the three made their way to the next challenge. Hermione watched as Ron took the lead in this challenge, just like the knight chess piece he had become, Ron bravely led them to near victory when to Hermione’s utter horror couldn’t help but scream as the white queen struck Ron in the head causing him to slam into the floor. It was at that very moment she realized how brave and noble he was, he knowingly put himself in danger.

He may be loud and obnoxious sometimes but he truly was chivalrous; the last of his kind she thought. Reflecting on memories of her childhood, she remembered how she read and even dreamt about knights. Although she was only eleven, Hermione already knew that Ronald Weasley was her one and only knight.

“Galleon for your thoughts Hermione.” teased Ron.

Hermione shook her head as Ron’s voice cleared the fog surrounding her mind. She looked around the now empty Common Room. “What?” she asked as she rubbed her eyes.

Ron smiled at her as he shook his head. “I said you look like you were sleeping with your eyes open.” He bent down to put the chessboard away.

Hermione stretched her body while Ron placed the board back on the shelf. She let out a yawn as she asked about Harry. “Where’d he go?”

Ron sat himself across from the settee Hermione was sitting in. “Went to bed, it’s quite late you know.”

“Guess I was sleeping with my eyes open. Just my mind was full of thoughts about our first year here.” avoiding his eyes as she said this.

Ron let out a snort before he spoke, “What a way to end our first school year. Not even going to tell my mum about it, but I’ll have to let my little sister Ginny in on this I suppose.”

Hermione finally looked at Ron he sat across from her with a lop-sided grin, her stomach fluttered when he did that. Remaining calm she said, “That’s right Percy told me about your little sister starting next year, can’t wait to meet her.”

Ron shifted uncomfortably on the sofa. “Hope you like her.” he said, as he scratched the back of his neck. “She’s bit of a brute sometimes. Guess that’s what happens when you only have brothers taking care of you. All in all, she’s grand.”

Hermione couldn’t help but smile at him, “I don’t think brute would be the word to describe your little sister. Although I don’t know her personally, she's assertive, confident and very self-assured. She would have to be with so many brothers.”

They sat quietly for only a brief moment before they both stood up and wished each other a goodnight. The next day they were on the Hogwart’s Express rapidly making its way to their final destination. Immediately arriving, the three took turns crossing the threshold into King’s Cross. As they made there way from the gateway, Ron happily invited them to stay at his home over the summer.

Hermione was about to answer after Harry thanked him, when she heard someone exclaim.

“There his is, Mum, there he is, look!”

Both her and Ron turned towards the voice, she noticed Ron scowl as he looked straight at the young red head girl who Hermione guessed was Ginny. Beside her was an older red head female who obviously was the matriarch of the Weasley family. The thought of being introduced to Ron’s mother made Hermione quite nervous. Her nerves were put at ease as she was so warmly greeted by his mother and sister.

A large portly man, a skinny woman and a very frightened miniature version of the portly man rudely interrupted Hermione’s sudden fill of euphoria. To Hermione’s dismay she noticed the man’s roughness was directed to Harry. She couldn’t believe that someone could be so rude with someone as sweet as her dear friend Harry. What surprised her more was seeing a smile on Harry’s face, when he explained his relative’s didn’t know about the rule of no magic allowed out of school, Hermione smiled back at him and gave him a hug goodbye.

As she watched him leave Hermione began to scan the platform for her parents, when she turned her attention back to Ron, she noticed all five sets of eyes were on her. Mrs. Weasley’s twinkled as she took the sight of Hermione in, the twins were s******ing behind their mother’s back, while Ginny had a bemused look, Percy winked and he smiled at her appreciatively. Ron for some reason was looking quite red and looking anywhere but at her. Hermione couldn’t help but blush and wonder where her parents were, she had a sudden urge to flee. She knew they were sweet people but the fear of them noticing she fancied Ron was frightening her immensely. She made a mental note to keep Harry close by the next time.

Mrs. Weasley walked up to her with warm a smile, “We’ll keep you company dear while you wait for your parents.”

“Thank you Mrs. Weasley, they should be here soon.” As soon as she finished, she heard her name being called by a very familiar voice. She quickly turned around and was pleased to see both her parents.

“Dad, Mum!” she exclaimed as she ran and threw herself into her father’s strong arms.

She laughed as her father picked her up and twirled her around, causing her ever out of control hair to whip into her face. He set her back down gently and placed a kiss on her forehead. He then stepped aside to allow his wife to greet their only child. Hermione hugged her tight as her mother greeted her with a bear hug. They finally released from the tight embrace, Hermione turned her attention back to the Weasley’s.

“Mum, dad, I’d like you to meet my friend Ronald Weasley, his mother Mrs. Weasley, his brother’s Percy, Fred and George and his sister Ginny.”

They all shook hands as they merrily greeted one another. Hermione couldn’t help but smile, she noticed Ron’s ears turn red as he gave them his hand to shake.

Hermione’s attention was distracted by a tug she felt on her jumper, Ginny nodded her head to the right silently requesting Hermione to follow her. Hermione swiftly walked away from her parents and Mrs. Weasley, she also noticed Ginny was steering clear of her brothers.

“Now that we’re finally alone.” said Ginny.

Hermione stopped herself from laughing, she noticed Ginny’s need for privacy was quite comical. She then felt dumb, of course Ginny would want some kind of privacy. A home full of over protective brother’s, she probably never had a moments peace.

“I just wanted to introduce myself properly before my overbearing brothers become too much and make me hex them into next week.” she smiled, “They’re great the majority of the time, but sometimes they act like such brutes you know?”

This time Hermione did laugh, she was reminded of the conversation she had last night with Ron. He had used the same word to describe his little sister.

Ginny giggled, “Course you would know, you were stuck with them the whole school year.”

Hermione was about to say how she rather enjoyed their company when she heard Ron call out. “Oi, Gin it’s time to go.” Both girls looked up at Ron making his face turn ever more red.

Both girls turned their attention back to each other. Ginny smirked, “Guess this is goodbye, we’ll chat some more this summer.”

“Wait, how’d you know about this summer?” asked Hermione.

“Ron told us when you were saying good bye to Harry,” Ginny bit her bottom lip when she mentioned Harry. “Why do you think everyone was gawking at you?” she giggled.

“Can’t be the first time Ron’s invited a friend over for the summer.” mused Hermione.

“Course it’s not, just first time he’s invited a girl.” Ginny wiggled her brow, with a huge smirk on her face she then hugged Hermione goodbye.

Hermione said nothing, she quietly made her way to her parents and shook everyone’s hand farewell. She felt her breath catch when Ron reminded her about this summer. Hermione sat in her parent’s car daydreaming about staying at Ron’s house with Harry and Ron’s family. She sighed knowing that it was best not to follow her feelings right now and focus on getting to know him more first before making any declarations. She was only eleven after all, plus they had just become friend’s she didn’t want to ruin her chances at a first friendship experience. No, no more thinking about Ron as her knight, that chessboard will just have to be put on the shelf until she feels ready to play.