Thread: Brains & Braun
View Single Post
Old December 21st, 2006, 7:06 pm
Third Year

Re: Brains & Braun

Seeing that I haven't posted in like forever I thought it would be nice to post a couple of days before the Holidays i hope yo enjoy and I do hope my brain works some more to continue on this Journey with my fave man Ronaldo Bilius Weasley Prewitt and his lucky lady Hermione Jane I-may-seem-tame-but-the-hair-and-the-temper-show-a-different-story Granger

Here I go again...on my own? (Title from Whitesnake but changed just a tad.)

The steam from the train rose high into the clear blue September sky fogging up the beautiful view that a twelve-year-old girl was admiring from platform 9 ¾. Hermione Granger waited anxiously for the arrival of her best friend’s Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley; she already had a pleasant visit with them while in Diagon Alley a week before school was to commence.

As always the day was frothed with adventure and drama. Hermione had the pleasure of meeting Ronald’s father Arthur Weasley, she beamed as she watched her parents talk amicably with his parents; the arrival of Draco Malfoy and his father Lucius rudely interrupted the pleasantries her parents and the Weasley’s had exchanged resulting in a full blow out fight between Mr. Weasley and Lucius Malfoy.

Looking back at the days events brought a smile to Hermione, she fondly remembered how she now discovered where Ron inherited his temper and his need to be the chivalrous gallant knight she had known him to be. It was evident Mr. Weasley may have been a humble gentleman with a sweet disposition but when it came to defending his family he showed his family pride most passionately another quality Ronald Weasley had acquired.

“What are you parents going to think?” asked Ron as he helped to pick up the books that were thrown around during the fight.

Although Ron appeared calm his voice gave way to the embarrassment he felt for his father’s behavior; she also couldn’t help but notice how red his ears appeared to be reflecting the blush that should have appeared on his freckled cheekbones.

Hermione gave her friend a reassuring smile. “My parents are not blind Ronald, they saw it wasn’t your father’s fault at all. Besides, I truly believe Draco’s father deserved to be pushed into the stack of books. I only feel sorry for the books that got the brunt end of it.”

Ron did not answer her; he simply gawked at her comment. Hermione felt her heart flutter when she noticed the color escape his ears, which then rushed to his cheeks making his face become a big red dot.

The one moment that stood out for Hermione was when Ron first arrived to Diagon Alley, he and his family were worried about Harry who had never arrived at the Leaky Cauldron through the floo network. Ron was in such a state he had forgotten to brush the soot off of his ever adorable freckled face, without a moments haste Hermione brushed off the soot from the places she could only reach with her out stretched hands, she remembered blushing when her small fingers brushed the ash off his chin, feeling his skin for the first time took her breath away.

The heat she felt on her flushed cheeks made her run her trembling hand through her hair. She thought 'Just breathe, act calm when you see him; he’s your friend after all.'.

Without realizing it Hermione began to chant this idea in her head as she paced back and forth near the entrance to the platform from King’s Cross Station.

Hermione soon stopped pacing when she saw a storm of red hair run through the threshold. With a release of breath she unknowingly was holding, Hermione made her way to the Weasley family. She only had time to greet Ron’s parents with a hasty hand shake when her small twelve year old frame was suddenly pushed towards the train as the last whistle bellowing from the gut of the train’s engine echoed in the air; warning the students to board the train for the long journey to their beloved Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Once they boarded the train Hermione hastily made her way to an empty compartment she had figured the two boys would seek her out since they were the ones that were late boarding. As she gazed out towards the sunbathed trees Hermione couldn’t help but notice she had been waiting for far too long.

'Did I do something wrong? 'she wondered. Sighing in frustration Hermione took out her favourite book of Hogwarts: A History and began to read, hoping it would distract her from that annoying feeling she had in the pit of her stomach. Luckily she hadn’t had enough time to dwell on the prospect of being ditched from her new friend’s when a petite red-haired girl appeared at the door of her lonely compartment.

“Do you mind?” asked Ginny hesitantly, “George and Fred are being rather annoying at the moment.” She smiled shyly. “Giving me rules about boys and the like.” She finally huffed as she made herself comfortable in the seat opposite Hermione.

Hermione gave her a weak smile trying her best to look like she understood as she crossed her arms over her chest. “They’re looking out for you, it’s quite nice of them actually.”

“Yes well, they’re less annoying then Ron, he gets right into my face about it.” Ginny shook her head disapprovingly. As if a light bulb flashed over her head Ginny asked Hermione. “Where is he by the way?”

Hermione furrowed her brow, “I was just about to ask you the same question.”

“I thought they were with you.” Ginny answered with a squeak.

The two girls looked at each other before getting up and walking to the door together. Just as they slid the door open they were greeted by a second year boy, he beamed at Hermione and with a high pitched “Hello.” and red plump blushing cheeks Neville Longbottom made his way into the compartment.

Hermione hurriedly introduced Neville to Ginny and was about to excuse herself from his presence when Neville asked, “Where are Harry and Ron?”

That one question made Hermione feel queasy. The only thing she could do was to shrug her shoulders letting him know she had no idea. Sensing her stress Neville simply answered.

“I’m sure they’re around here Hermione, probably looking for you as we speak.” He smiled reassuringly at her.

Hermione appreciated his intent on making her feel better, together the three set off to look for Harry and Ron.

‘Did they get sick of me already?’ she thought to herself.

As if sensing her thoughts Ginny answered, “Ron has been doing nothing but talking about meeting up with you on the train…the nerve of him, when I see Ron I’ll take him by the ear and have a good talking to.” She huffed.

Hermione couldn’t help but be grateful to Ginny’s attempts to make her feel better, but the one thought that raced through her mind was the same ‘They grew tried of me.’

The three sat down getting to know one another better with a few interruptions by fellow second years coming to have a visit with Harry Potter. One visit made Hermione's heart boil the nerve of her to assume things.

“We had thought he was with you seeing that you followed him like a lost puppy last year –“ explained Lavendar Brown.

Trying her best to keep calm Hermione answered her blonde roommate, whom she noticed had entered the stage of a young lady. In Hermione’s mind Lavendar was far from being a lady but her hourglass physique showed otherwise.

“- Yes well as you can see Lavendar he and Ron are not here.” Stated Hermione.

“Who?” asked Lavendar.

“You asked about Harry did you not?” Hermione was growing rather tired of Lavendar and her lack of intelligence.

“Yes I did Herm dear –“

“Her name is Hermione.” Ginny cut in. Hermione had noticed how red Ginny’s face had become.

“I know that,” Lavendar rolled her eyes at the first year. “I mean the bloke you just mentioned. Ron? Who is he?”

Hermione could not help but look at her roommate and shake her head in disapproval. “Ronald Weasley, he’s in Gryffindor; second year.” Seeing how clueless Lavendar was Hermione couldn’t help but grow more annoyed with her. She was ready to go on a rampage about how rude and self-centered she was on how she could not notice a boy like Ronald Weasley. When she heard Ginny say…

“The red headed boy.”

It was like a light bulb had turned on in her roommate’s empty head; Hermione saw Lavendar’s eyes catch on and then she noticed her face screw up into a face of disgust. “You mean that tall one? Well, yes he’s a right sight isn’t he?” she had the audacity to laugh.

“He’s my brother.” Huffed Ginny as she stood up to face Lavendar. Hands fisted at her sides, Hermione hoped somehow the inevitable could be stopped. Yes Hermione couldn't help but stay seated, in her mind Lavendar was going to get her come-upen's.

It was like the grace of the gods that Seamus Finnigan, Dean Thomas and the Patil twins arrived.

“Oi! What goin on here?” Enquired Seamus as he made his way to Lavendar's side.

The four stood stalk still once they had a better view of the young first year and their friend Lavendar staring each other down.

“Red hair, freckled face and a lovely disposition. Aye, I see we have another Weasley in our midst.” Teased Seamus.

“What a fine observation the leprechaun’s made, don’t you agree brother?” interrupted one of the Weasely twins as he pushed his way into the compartment.

“A fine deduction George, I say the lucky charm’s right on one thing brother.” Stated Fred.

“What’s that Fred?” asked George as he rounded on Seamus.

“We do have a lovely disposition, especially the youngest of us.” answered Fred as he too made his way to his sister's side.

Hermione couldn’t help but notice how Seamus kept glancing between the door and the twins. She smiled to herself knowing how much he must be regretting opening her compartment door today.

Taking on a role of maturity; which Hermione could soon see was more acting then actual behavior; the twins took on the stern look of the Head of their house; Professor McGonagall. It was hard to take what they were saying serious; hearing the high pitch voices that escaped their mouth was too funny to be anything but.

“Now, now dear children we mustn’t bicker within our house. It is unbecoming and unhumourous.” Ranted Fred.

“I find we’re unhumourous at the moment and I do believe there's no such word. Therefore, I will make observations befitting of a high ranking scholar such as myself.” Finished George with a wink.

“Take Irish eyes here for example,” George said finishing in his regular deep voice. “sorry.” he coughed to clear his throat. “Can’t do the female rant for too long. Where were we Fred?”

“The Irish git.” Answered Fred as he eyed Lavendar Brown up and down; giving her a lop-sided smile, which for some reason annoyed Hermione.

“Thanks Fred, now Seamus here has forgotten that since there is another Weasley, that means there are more Weasley’s which therefore means there are more ears and more eyes. So if you’d be so kind to remember Seamus, tease our little sister now…”

“…Because it’s the last time you will.” Finished Fred.

Seamus slightly coward at the last sentence since Fred further made what he said more effective by standing side by side with his twin brother. From Hermione’s position she could see how effective the move was seeing that their broad bodies towered over Seamus and covered his vision of their little sister Ginny.

“She was the one that started it,” stuttered Seamus. “Lavendar’s my friend, I wasn’t about to let a first year come in and harm her. Be side’s I know you would defend Angelina from a first year…” he squeaked as he felt Fred push into him “…if they were glaring daggers at her. It’s a Gryffindor thing to do.” He finished throwing himself against the compartment wall.

As this was going on the Patil twins had made themselves comfortable on the opposite seats from Hermione, Ginny, Neville and now Dean. Hermione observed Dean glance her way, but she could swear he had been eyeing the young red head. Lavendar in the mean time stood watching the interaction between the Weasley brother’s and the poor bloke who only came in to see if the ungrateful blonde needed his assistance.

“Too true Seamus, I’ll give you that.” Answered Fred, he and his better half turned their attention onto their little sister.

George was the first to enquire. “Tell us Ginny…”

“Ginny? That’s a nice name.” Stated Dean in quiet voice.

Hermione held her breath when she saw Fred softly pat Dean’s black hair down. “It is a nice name so is her full name, would you like to hear it?”

Dean innocently nodded his head. Fred and George were ready to say their baby sister’s name when she stopped them.

“If you even dare, so help me I’ll hex you so bad that our own mother won’t know which part is your head and which is your backend!”

Fred turned his attention back to his little sister, “Now, now don’t get yourself all bent out of shape. Let’s ignore this shall we?”

“Yes we shall.” Piped in George.

“Ta George.” Thanked Fred.

“Anytime brother of mine.” Saluted George.

Hermione rolled her eyes, “For the love of Merlin will the two of you just get on with…” Hermione flayed her arms about the compartment “with whatever this is.” She finished exasperated.

She couldn’t help but shrink in her seat as all eyes were on her. “Well, I mean really don’t you feel stuffed up in here? There are too many of us and alls I want to be is comfortable and well rested for the feast.”

“Right.” Said Fred, “As I was saying; what was it that bothered you so much Ginny?”

“She insulted Ron.” She stated while pointing at Lavendar with a glare.

“And?” asked George as he shrugged his shoulders.

“She acted as if she never knew who he was, as if he never existed.” Ginny said with a huff. “She’s been living in the same dorm as my brother for a year and now entering their second year and alls she wants to know is where is the Boy who lived.”

George spoke suppressing a laugh, “There’s no crime in that Ginny; we even forget who Ron is half the time.”

“Speaking of the git where is he?” asked George looking straight at Hermione.

The anxiousness she was feeling before all hell broke loose in her compartment came flooding back.

“I don’t know.” She said looking down at her nails.

Dean wondered, “Could they have had another encounter with Malfoy and his cronies?”

The ten young teens looked at one another, without saying a word they all got up trying to go in an orderly fashion to the compartment door. With many “Watch it!”, “Ow, that’s my foot you git!” and “I can’t breath!” the ten people painfully made their way out to the corridor. Neville was the last to vacate the compartment, as he turned to close the door, Hermione noticed his eyes grow wide.

“What is it Neville?” asked Hermione, the other’s turned their attention onto Neville.

“Nothing!” he yelped. “It’s just that I think I just saw a blue car flying just out our window.”

Hermione noticed everyone but the Weasley’s were laughing.

Seamus shook his head. “Bugger Neville, I think you’ve been watching too many muggle movies. There’s no such thing as flying cars, flying brooms yes but... I’ll lick Snape’s greasy hair before I see a flying car.”

Hermione looked from Fred to Ginny and couldn’t help but see the gleam of mischief in their eyes. She also had the sneaking suspicion Ron’s three siblings knew exactly where he and Harry were. As Hermione made her way through the corridors with her fellow schoolmates, she couldn’t help but smile to herself as she thought ‘Another interesting year at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and witchery.’

Hope it was a good one for you all and Happy Holidays all the best to you in the new year. The Link-meister

Last edited by roach76; December 21st, 2006 at 7:22 pm. Reason: Forgot title
Sponsored Links