View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2009, 5:50 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Dolores Jane Umbridge: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I don't think Dolores Umbridge would make a successful tyrant, nor would she try to take over under her own steam. I agree, she has the necessary attributes, she's power-hungry, sadistic, willing to do whatever it takes. However, she uses the power given her by a superior - (the Minister of the day, be it Fudge, Scrimgeour or Thicknesse) to justify her actions - she seems to tell herself it's her duty to do these things - e.g. in OotP - she rants about how several people at the Ministry were going on about needing to silence Harry, yet she was the only one to do anything about it. Also, despite her eagerness to use the Cruciatus Curse on Harry, she goes on quite a bit about "What Cornelius doesn't know won't hurt him/he'll understand it was necessary". While turning his photo upside down on her desk. She likes power and cruelty, no douby about it, I think, but it seems she needs to feel (or at least be able to claim) this is just doing her job.

Interestingly, if she was going to go with an Unforgivable to make Harry talk, she could have just gone with Imperius, and ordered him to tell, instead she chooses the painful curse. Imperius would have been far more effective on somebody unable to fight it than the Cruciatus curse. (And the Ministry refused to believe at that point that Harry had fought off Voldemort's Imperius, which may have been mentioned in the Quibbler interview.) Maybe she knew from Fake Moody's plans that Harry had fought off the curse - she complained about her predecessor using dark curses on students, after all.
Umm, I think the turning of the photo is in the movie, not in the book, but yes, you're right, she always just "doing her job", I just think she would be able to make that one small step: that her 'doing of the job' requires her to step up a bit more. WHen she comes to be in the highest position in Hogwarts she merely uses Cornelius to achieve more power. It's easy to switch one's boss to an ideology that requires things to be done.

Yes, the Imperius might have been more effective, but I think she enjoys watching others suffer, gives her satisfaction (her quill, the sacking of Trelawney, the Weasley twins, the banning of Harry and the twins playing ever again...).

*In: Snape's Happy Ending, fanfic by CathyWeasley

SNAPE'S MAN THROUGH AND THROUGH
Sponsored Links