View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2013, 1:45 pm
Third Year

Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sablestar View Post
Bellatrix is one of the most undeniably evil characters in Harry Potter, IMO. I don't think she was like that pre-Azkaban, though; on one of the pages on JKR's website, the background looks like the Trophy Room, and you can read some of the names on the trophies-like Tom Riddle, James Potter, and Bellatrix Black. She must've done something to get an award for Special Services to the School (kind of makes you wonder what).

She was in love with Voldemort; she had to have been. I think it was more of a power thing than a romantic one, though. Voldemort didn't return Bellatrix's feelings; he was incable of love. He freaked out after she died because she was his best and strongest of the Death Eaters.

I think that Bellatrix's insanity was a result of all the purebloods being so heavily inbred, as well as the way that she was raised. Her parents were Dark Wizard supremecists, and that obviously would've rubbed off on Bellatrix. And, considering that they were the kind of people that used Dark Magic as a leisure activity, imagine the punishment they would've given to kids...-shudder-

She wasn't completely evil though. JKR said somewhere that, with the exception of Voldemort, none of the characters in HP are completely good or evil. I think that caring about her sister Narcissa was the small bit of light that remained in Bellatrix.
Sirius was a pure blod, too, and he wasn't insane. I don't think his brother was, either, really. Sirius was also in Azkaban. You're right in that she cared about her sister. It did seem odd to me when they were looking for Snape, that Bellatrix went with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
This is going to be an unpopular opinion, to be sure...

I'm actually wondering if it might've fit Bellatrix's character better if she'd been a rare case of a "Bad Gryffindor" because she clearly shows a lot of loyalty, devotion and...courage throughout the series. She doesn't seem like a schemer or anything, but a true warrior zealot. Sure, it's loyalty to an evil Sorcerer but it's still real loyalty.
I thought loyalty was a Hufflepuff trait.

Sponsored Links