View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2010, 3:51 am
Banned

Re: Severus Snape and Muggle Culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
MinCat: Poe, definitely ~ with his Lost Lenore!!!
I think he'd like both "Lenore" and "The Raven," interests he would probably share with Dumbledore (though I think they'd argue over the meaning of the latter). Whether he'd like the stuff such as "The Cask of Amontillado" or "The Fall of the House of Usher" is another story - those seem more like Slughorn interests to me. I think Snape would like "The Tell-Tale Heart" more than the former - it's grittier and more suspenseful. "The Black Cat" would be a decent fit, but personally I think his #1 favorite by Poe would be "The Gold Bug," the same story that first got me interested in cryptograms and cryptoquotes.

I think I can actually predict Snape's favorite short story of all: "Jerusalem's Lot" by Stephen King. It's written in a style similar to Poe, in which the action is displayed by a series of letters written by the narrator who becomes gradually less and less sane... except that, if it can be believed, King actually does it better than Poe in that story. It also makes very blatant H.P. Lovecraft references, as well as implied references to minor plot points in King's own second-ever novel, "Salem's Lot." Most of all, it's dark, it's very brooding, and it's very detached from the world. The Lovecraft deity Yogsothoth even makes an appearance.

Quote:
That tells me all I need to know about your obsession. While I've never been a big reader of HP fanfic, I think I've read almost everything over on RoP. The reason is that Jane Austen left out some key scenes that are so fun to contemplate - Mr. Darcy asking Mr. Bennet for Eliza's hand for one. There are a million ways that could go down!
I never read the RoP fanfics, but I did read the "idea for a novel" that Austen had written and posted on its forum for a while. Also, I went to the Morgan Library's display in January with about 9 or 10 other members. It turned out that only two were near my age and most were actually around my parents' age, something I was quite surprised by from a website. After the library, we had some food at the Algonquin hotel in Manhattan. I did find that although most were relatively aloof, the ones I could engage in conversation were very interesting people to talk to. It was probably one of the only possible gatherings in which I was the least Austen-knowledgable person of the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat
Music, how could I forget Neil Diamond - "Hot August Night": Holly Holy, Red Red Wine, I Am, I Said
Where are "Song Sung Blue" and "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon"?

Last edited by APolaris; July 3rd, 2010 at 4:00 am.
Sponsored Links