View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2012, 3:18 pm
Snidget of Champions

Re: Do you remember memories in a pensieve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPELIAMUS
I like to think that it works this way: A copy of your memory leaves your brain. Then the original memory in your brain gets reduced to a much smaller size. This way, you still know the memory but you are allowed to store more things in the brain. It becomes so faint that no one else can read your mind to find it.
I like your creative view; however if it were that easy to make memories faint and therefore unreadable by Legilimency, then why wouldn't Snape simply make them all faint instead of resorting to Occlumency which takes great effort and skill but still leaves you open to slip-ups, or having your memories read while you're unconscious?
My interpretation of EXPELIAMUS' view is that it is the Pensieve that allows one to duplicate memories in that specific way. If Snape did not have constant access to the Pensieve (and this raises an interesting, but off topic, point of how much did Snape use Dumbledore's Pensieve to hide memories/information from Voldemort), then he would not be able to make memories faint - that process, instead, would require the magic of the Pensieve.

While I, too, enjoy the intrigue of this process, I do not know how fully I support it. I do lean towards the idea that memories can be duplicated, but that this would be a conscious process. Instead, I rather think that placing memories into the Pensieve removes the memory from one's mind but maintains an imprint of recognition of the memory. Then, when one is observing the memory within the Pensieve, it is as if you remember that scene, but with much better breadth (i.e. the Pensieve, when you are exploring it, acts as an extension of your mind).

To put this in context, when Dumbledore or Snape deposited memories into the Pensieve, I think they lost the details of the memory while retaining a recognition of it, or a knowledge that that memory exists. But not until they explored the memory in the Pensieve or replaced it back into their brains would they fully 'remember' those scenes.

In Slughorn's case, I think we see an instance of two memories being created by Slughorn retaining the true memory while also trying to hide it. Thus, the true memory never left his mind, and the tampered one did not replace it because it was a mere perversion of the truth. Hence why Dumbledore insists that the true memory still exists - because Slughorn only covered up the truth with a lie to himself. Therefore, Slughorn, in essence, created a false memory based upon the truth. I do not see any inconsistency with how Slughorn's memories worked and the other memories we see.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Sponsored Links