View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2007, 3:06 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Re: "separated by a common language"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
I'm not sure, but in my experience most American recipes don't turn out quite the same with British ingredients. My husband returned from a stay in the US with a bunch of hand written recipes for his favourite foods. The oatmeal cookies worked out OK, but key lime pie was distinctly runny, cornbread was obviously not right, and something called Indian pudding was a smelly, indistinguishable mess! And I'm not a bad cook in general, honest!

I think British white flour is coarser than American cake flour.
Hmm...I use "all-purpose flour" that says on the package "presifted * enriched * bleached". Listed ingredients are "bleached wheat flour enriched (niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), malted barley flour".
[That's like the cheapest flour my grocery store carries. ]

Though, I'm afraid I can't help you with the key lime pie, cornbread, or Indian pudding, as I've never made any of those.

edit

Oh, Wikipedia has a short section on the differences between different kinds of flour --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour#Types_of_flour

BTW, any recipe used in my family that calls for flour generally assumes that it will be all-purpose flour, which is apparently different from cake flour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In Britain, many flours go by names different than those from America. Some American flours and British equivalents include:

Cake and pastry flour = soft flour
All-purpose flour = plain flour
Bread flour = strong flour, hard flour
Self-rising flour = self-raising flour
Whole-wheat flour = wholemeal flour

Last edited by Pox Voldius; October 27th, 2007 at 3:20 am.
Sponsored Links