View Single Post
Old October 24th, 2008, 2:00 am
Neville Longbottom

Re: Hermione & Neville 2008: Commitment, Competence, Compassion

Neville Longbottom on Hermione Granger Weasley:

Well, we’ve been on the trail together for several weeks and I’ve learned even more about my co-candidate than I ever thought possible…even after knowing her for all these years.

I knew her pretty well before all this started, of course, but this campaign has given us a chance to talk about things we had never spoken of before, things near and dear to our hearts but things that don’t come up in everyday conversation.

I’ve always known Hermione was passionate about equality for all magical beings, but I’ve learned that it is not just equality in the legal sense that she meant. She wants equality of respect and dignity, overall treatment (including legal recourse, access to medical and educational resources, and socially), and freedom of choice. She has shown me that so many of the things I, as a pure blooded wizard, have always taken for granted, are precious gifts to be treasured and shared with mixed blood, muggle-borns, and other beings.

She also wants to increase international cooperation. It’s a small world and what we do affects others and what they do affects us. Hermione can find common ground and ways to work together where everyone wins. The university/research center we are working on is only the beginning of that.

I respected and admired her greatly before this campaign started, and those feelings have only grown. She’s shown how persistent she is in the face of intense opposition, how passionate she is about her beliefs, how hard she is willing to work to help people, and most importantly, how important people—muggles, wizards and other magical beings—are to her. That wasn’t unexpected, of course. But the thing I learned that surprised me the most: what a great dancer Hermione is!

[/quote]

Sponsored Links