View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2013, 3:32 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanT View Post
Firstly, Bellatrix is not the only one of her kind. There are other prejudiced pure-bloods with as much, if not more, lunacy to accompany a murderous streak.

I fully agree. Bellatrix is not the only murderous Death Eater. She is not the only one to commit evil deeds. She is not the only one to destroy the lives of others. She was not the bad apple in a bunch of Scouts; she was one of the high-ranking murderers in a group of murderers.

Quote:
From what we see, however, none of them are particularly up to par with Bellatrix's abilities as a witch. In short, none of them warrant her respect, for they are neither as powerful nor as psychotically devoted to the purifying cause.
I think there is little that warrants Bellatrix's respect, apart from Voldemort.

Quote:
Branching off of this, whenever Voldemort deviated slightly from her ideal self, Bellatrix was highly bothered by it, as is shown in her "distrust" of Snape. It was not distrust, it was the concept of favoring a half-blood over a pure-blood, something Bellatrix would not expect in her superior self.
Yes, it seems to distress Bellatrix deeply when Voldemort makes a decision she would not. However, this may also be because these decisions affect her, personally. Voldemort choosing providers of information over those who languished in Azkaban was not a decision she would make, but it was also a decision which hurt her significance to him, and among her fellows. But it could also be disappointment that his priorities are not the same as hers, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I agree with everything here. I think Bella's feelings for Voldemort are a perfect example of a narcissistic sort of affection, when you love someone because they remind you of you, or of who you wished you were. I also think that Bellatrix is not very happy being a servat, I think she would prefer Voldemort to regard her as his equal and put her high above the other Death Eaters. I never bought the idea that Bellatrix has a slave-mentality. To me, she comes across more as a leader and such an arrogant pureblood like her would not like to have to serve anyone (though of course, she enjoys serving Voldemort because she worships him).

I agree, she would dearly love to be Voldemort's First Lady and co-ruler. While she sees herself as his closest and most valued, I think she also recognises, on some level, that he will never consider her an equal. I think, in some ways, she is settling for the best she can hope for. And in the knowledge that at least she is doing something she enjoys and indulging her sadism as much as she likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
Do you think she believed Harry when he told her Voldemort was a half-blood in the room of Prophecies?
Hmmm. I can see her disbelieving, or I can see her knowing already. I can't see her believing when told by Harry. She may have known already - with her obsession with pureblood genealogy, I can't see her accepting this self-proclaimed Lord Voldemort with no evidence of his pureblood credentials -I'm pretty sure "Voldemort" isn't a surname in "Nature's Nobility". She might accept the fact that he could prove he was Slytherin's Heir as evidence enough that he was pureblood.
There was some Lestrange who went to school with Riddle - he may be her husband, or one of her in-laws, but he may have made the connection between Voldemort and Riddle - especially as Riddle was using the name among "friends" at Hogwarts. He could have passed on the information.
If she knew already, her reaction was out of fury and worry at the thought of this being made widely known.
If she did not believe Harry, it is more straightforward - she thinks it is a tremendous insult against her precious Dark Lord.
I don't see her believing a slight from the enemy, one which, if it were a lie, would have been intended specifically to throw her. (As the truth, it may also have been for that purpose.)

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Sponsored Links