View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2011, 4:08 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I agree. I think this was what Snape needed to seek remorse for and repent. It was not the particular family or person who was actually targeted in the end mattered as far as Snape was concerned IMO, because I think the action which was completely in the wrong was taking what he heard of the Prophecy to Voldemort knowing that a baby would die at Voldemort's hands.

[snip]

I disagree. I don't think Snape was in any way responsible for the Potters deaths. That is because I believe Snape came in time to warn Dumbledore in time. Had the Potters lived and no one had died because of Snape's action; that is had Snape's actions of taking the Prophecy to Voldemort not resulted in the death of the chosen child whoever he may have been, I still think Snape would be responsible and culpable for his actions which was taking the Prophecy to Voldemort with an attitude that bordered on uncaring of a human life that would be lost because of his actions and I think Snape would still need to seek the same type of remorse he showed in the Books. I believe the remorse for was taking the Prophecy to Voldemort and not for killing the Potters.
Ehh, I'm not sure I agree with that. I agree that he was responsible for putting some family at risk even if no one had been killed, but that doesn't mean he wasn't also responsible for their actual deaths. Intent follows the bullet (or the wand, I guess). Trying to prevent their deaths after Voldemort had locked and loaded is a mitigating factor, but it doesn't entirely absolve Snape of responsibility.

In other words, if Snape had not passed on what he had heard of the prophecy, both the Potters and the Longbottoms would have been just any other Resistance members; but because he did pass it on, it became essentially a coin flip as to which one of them would be especially targeted. To me, that's the critical impact of Snape's actions, and that responsibility doesn't entirely persist or vanish based on the outcome.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Sponsored Links