View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2009, 1:32 am
Lycanthrope

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis v.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
If readers choose to interpret Snape in a different way in this scene, I don't see how that means they don't care about Crouch or his well-being.
Who knows, but a suggestion is to imagine that a beloved character was sick in the forest and how one might like a person with a modicum of authority like a professor to behave. You know, for Snape, if Lily hadn't died and it had been a 30 year old Lily sick in the dangerous forest, I doubt he'd stand there curling his lips and trying to assert his authority.

Quote:
Yes, that is how at first glance the scene comes across: that Snape is his usual horrible self and he doesn't care. But as ever, where Snape is involved, things are not always quite what they seem. (And sometimes they are.)
If we look at the conversation again:

"What are you doing here, Potter?"

"I need to see Professor Dumbledore!" said Harry, running back up the corridor and skidding to a standstill in front of Snape instead. "It's Mr. Crouch . . . he's just turned up ... he's in the forest... he's asking -"

"What is this rubbish?" said Snape, his black eyes glittering. "What are you talking about?"

"Mr. Crouch!" Harry shouted. "From the Ministry! He's ill or something - he's in the forest, he wants to see Dumbledore! Just give me the password up to -"

That is it. That is all the information Harry manages to get out before Snape interrupts him again.

I am certainly not saying that Snape is behaving nicely, or reasonably! -- clearly he isn't.

But I think it's much more a case of Snape realising far more than he's letting on than him not caring about Crouch. I think he would have relayed this information about Crouch being ill to Dumbledore as soon as he got the chance. That was his job, apart from anything else ... but I don't infer from this incident that he wouldn't have taken Harry's message seriously (and therefore not taken Crouch's plight seriously) -- despite appearances to the contrary.
And he couldn't just say that to Harry? Why not? And what of Crouch? He should wait sick and in the dangerous forest until Dumbledore is finished with whatever he is doing? I opine that unless Dumbledore was upstairs saving someone from the brink of death, someone in the forest whose life was in danger by his merely being there and sick besides would take priority. Further, Dumbledore did come down and see to the matter, so it would seem he agreed that whatever he was doing was not as important, imo.

Quote:
And that for me is what Snape is very much about ... appearances to the contrary.
Well that works until he does something like try to stop Harry's fall. Was he actually trying to cause it to happen? Or is it only appearances to the contrary when he is doing something seemingly wrongful? In my view, there is no canon to suggest that Snape was behaving in a contrary manner at all times. To me, it is evident when he is supposed to be interpreted as behaving in a manner that is contrary to appearance. For example when he spoke with Bella and Narcissa at Spinner's End. One has to read that in terms of DH because it concerned his dual position as a spy. But here in the hallway with no one around but him and Harry, there is no reason he cannot tell Harry he will inform Dumbledore immediately or see to the matter himself. And there is no reason for inaction either, imo.