View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:14 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Quirinus Quirrell: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
The new Pottermore information gives us insight into Quirrell's past, his choices and his meeting with Voldemort. He actually reminds me a lot of Percy Weasley. Not so much in his manner, since Percy is full of confidence about what he wants. But both are very ambitious in wanting to make a name for themselves and end up making the wrong choices. Contrary to Percy, Quirrell's story doesn't end well.
I think there are similarities, in that they both wanted to be important. However, unlike Quirrell, Percy does not seem to have ever entertained the idea of using dark magic to hurt others in order to feel or be important. Percy, like Quirrell, resented being the butt of jokes, but he did not react to this in the disturbing way that Quirrell did. He made mistakes, but his mistakes were to put his trust in a corrupt government, rather than to pin his hopes on the help of a psychotic mass murderer.

Quote:
1. Quirrell actively goes in search of Voldemort, either to capture him or learn from him. This feels completely oppurtunistic. Was Quirrell really that naive to think he could capture Voldemort?
Honestly, I have less sympathy for Quirrell after reading the Pottermore information. From PS, it seemed that he had encountered Voldemort by chance and been manipulated and overtaken by him. But to actually seek out Voldemort, in order to learn dark magic from him strikes me as incredibly foolish and arrogant. Not to mention an extreme version of revenge, given that he planned to use it so that people wouldn't laugh at him. I find that quite a disturbing idea and attitude.
He may have considered capturing Voldemort as a possibility, but he was also considering the option of learning from him how to harm others. I don't think he really cared as long as it made him important/feel important.

Quote:
2. Voldemort took over Quirrell's mind and effectively turned him into a horcrux. Do you think Quirrell's experiences as a "horcrux" would have been similar to Harry's?
I don't think so. The horrux in Harry had broken off from the main sentient soul, whereas Quirrell was possessed by the main part of Voldemort's soul. Harry had his own thoughts, feelings, ideas and decisions. The horcrux within Harry seemed at times to strain to get back to the main soul - which may have been why it hurt when Voldemort was near. I don't think Quirrell would have experienced that as Voldemort was conscious and would have been unwilling to leave a live host before he had a body of his own.

Quote:
3. Quirrell had a brilliant mind, but was he responsible for solving the logic puzzle or was it Voldemort?
Hmm. Depends how Voldemort viewed the challenge. If he had viewed it as minion's work, he would have left it to Quirrell. He could also have viewed it as too important to leave to Quirrell and done it himself. It could also have been a matter of pride - it was a test, and Voldemort may have wanted to do it himself because of his ego.

Quote:
4. How did Quirrell manage to conceal Voldemort's presence from Dumbledore?
By behaving as though he were weak and helpless. By spreading the rumour that his nervousness was because of a bad encounter with a vampire or a hag while he was travelling. By keeping Voldemort hidden under the turban. It's not as if Voldemort glowed in the dark to let people know he was near, so all Quirrell had to do was not let on that he was now Voldemort's servant and host.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Snape View Post
Skimming back through PS/SS and I noticed this:

So what do you guys make of this particular statement from Quirrell - that Snape never wanted Harry dead?

Could he mean "never", as in, going all the way back to the prophecy & Godric's Hollow? (*squee!*)

I think it simply means that year. Quirrell does not know enough to say that Snape "never" wanted Harry dead. And it cannot possibly go back as far as the prophecy, because Snape did not know or care who would die when he passed on the prophecy, and by the time the Potters were in hiding at Godric's Hollow, Snape would have preferred for Lily to survive and Harry to die. His reaction to being told by Dumbledore that Harry had survived instead of Lily certainly suggests to me that he resents the fact that Harry was still alive instead of Lily. IMO, Quirrell can only be referring to that year, and to the attempts on Harry's life.

Quote:
And how would Quirrell know about this? From Voldemort, right?

IMO, Quirrell was referring to the fact that it was he and Voldemort, rather than Snape, behind the attempt to murder Harry that year.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Most likely. He should have figured that Voldemort wanted to find a vessel. So unless he truly wanted to learn from him or get powerful in any way he could, it just sounds as if he was being used.
Of course he was being used - anyone who went to Voldemort to gain something was being used. All of his servants were being used. However, it was Quirrell's choice to seek out Voldemort Quirrell wanted to learn dark magic to cause harm. Like with the Death Eaters, Voldemort saw this inclination towards cruelty and selfishness as something he could use to his advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Snape View Post
But what really intrigues me about Quirrell's statements is that "never" (in this particular context) apparently stretches all the way back to his schooldays with James. This suggests that Voldemort either sensed this from the beginning (from the time when Snape pleaded for Lily to be spared - that he also didn't want Harry to die), or that he may have reached this conclusion during first year (after noticing how often Snape intervened to save Harry - and deciding that it might have something to do with Lily).

If Voldemort had sensed this, at all, he would not have allowed Snape back into the fold at the end of GoF, not by a long shot. IMO, this "never" of Quirrell's only refers to that year. I don't think it can truthfully be said that Snape never, ever, ever wanted Harry dead.

Quote:
This also reminds me of a post-DH quote from JK:
Personally, I think it may just have been because people shipped all kinds of characters together, and Lily/Snape shipping may have just been the Marauder-era version of Hermione/Draco shipping - the Muggleborn with the DE thing.
Or, if there were genuine reasons, it may have been based on the fact that a Death Eater, with no qualms about being cruel or hurtful, never insulted Harry's Muggleborn mother.

Quote:
Snape loathed Harry's father, and yet, he never wanted Harry to die = it consequently points to some kind of respect/regard for Harry's mother (and events in PoA only reinforce that idea).
I don't think that's quite enough to jump to the conclusion that Snape loved Lily. Not wanting an innocent child dead does not automatically mean that a person must love the child's mother. And I would sincerely hope that there are not many people at all who would wish an innocent child dead, murdered, just because they hated the child's father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
There is always the possibility that Quirrell attended Hogwarts during the same time as Severus and James, as he is decribed as a young man. From what we see in SWM, the animosity between James and Severus wasn't a secret, and was witnessed by anyone that happened to be around at the time.
It's possible that they were at school at the same time. Or perhaps it was something Quirrell learned from the other teachers. Or perhaps Voldemort told him.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; April 21st, 2013 at 12:18 am.
Sponsored Links