View Single Post
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:32 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Tarantino's films tend to be a mess of long boring stretches and then high octane scenes...there's no consistency and they don't flow well.

Case in point- The bar scene. Sit around the table talking for 30 minutes >> ridic minute or two shootout >> cut to another boring scene...

Maybe I'm blaming the wrong person, but I hang that on the editor.
As Rastaban43 said, blame it on Tarantino. He wrote the script and directed it. I don't know how much influence/freedom the editor usually is given, but his/her's job is basically to piece together the film. I doubt he/she can cut lines and such if it's not clarified with the director.

Having just watched it, I thought it was edited wonderfully myself. It flows rather well, IMO, and it's refreshing to see a movie which doesn't change camera view/angle every other second in conversations between two people.

As for the film, I was pleasantly surprised by it. It would be dishonest of me to say it didn't feel overlong, but while there were many drawn-out scenes it somehow worked for the benefit of the film; there's a certain rhythm to it, a slow and menacing build-up and atmosphere created before hell breaks loose and that kept it from being boring. I was quite drawn in while watching it, but upon further reflections it did feel utterly nonsensical which is illustrated by the excessive and disturbing gore.

All in all, it was a unique experience, but I will definitely not waste time looking for meaning in it. 8/10

Last edited by Noldus; October 1st, 2010 at 10:39 pm.
Sponsored Links