View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2007, 2:59 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Merope Gaunt: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
Exactly, Slytherins were never on the good side, they always had some evil in them...and I think it worked like the poison works in the food chain, it slowly goes on increasing in concentration and finally it becomes huge...I think something like that happened with Voldemort.
...but doesn't that undermine the entire "choice as to what you become" theme that underpins the series? No one is automatically good or evil in Rowling's world. Just because you're a Slytherin doesn't mean that you're either a pureblood fanatic or a power-mad psychopath. Slughorn is a great example of a Slytherin who's at the very least benign, if not actively on the good side. Simiarly, just because you're in Gryffindor doesn't mean you're some brave, loyal defender of the oppressed (Pettigrew, anyone?). Everyone has good and evil in them, and everyone has full control over which side controls their actions.

I think it's far more likely that Tom Riddle Jr. made the choices that he did because of the fact he's Tom Riddle Jr., rather than because he's inherited some "evil gene" from his ancestors. Just in the same way Harry made the choices he did because he's Harry, not because he's predetermined (preinclined, perhaps) to act in a certain way.

Sponsored Links