View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2019, 2:56 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker--so I should mention that I liked the prior two movies in this current trilogy to start, so I'm inclined to like the ongoing story of these characters as well as the conclusion of the characters from the original trilogy. I'll also limit what I say to avoid spoilers as much as possible. Overall, I enjoyed the movie. The return of the Emperor (which is not a spoiler, since the advertising already let that secret out months ago) is, in my opinion, not a fantastic idea, but since they decided to go that route, they do a decent job with it. Some of the pacing is a little rushed, and there's a few things that happen that seem a little extraneous, but nothing that's terrible. I wish we could have seen Leia's story play out as originally planned, but unfortunately, Carrie Fisher's death upset those plans. Having said that, they do a good job incorporating Carrie Fisher's old footage from The Force Awakens into the new film, and the effects work blends well into the new film footage. Rey and Kylo Ren are the heart of the story, so the stories of Poe and Finn are definitely secondary, but it's fun to see the whole new core trio in action together for the first time in the trilogy. Poor Rose, after a fairly prominent role in The Last Jedi, gets barely any screen time in the new movie. There's tons of Easter eggs from all the prior movies in the Skywalker saga, as well as some fun cameos. Elements from the Star Wars TV shows (Clone Wars, Rebels, and The Mandalorian) are all briefly included; if you're not familiar with those shows, it won't ruin the movie, but knowledge of the TV shows will give a richer movie experience. John Williams' score--well, it's a John Williams Star Wars score, so really, what needs to be said? The movie isn't perfect, but I think that overall, it's a good ending of the Skywalker saga. It's fun, well-acted, and well made. I don't love all the story choices they made, but nothing's going to "ruin Star Wars" for me the way some of the more (shall we say) excitable members of the fandom complain. I'm glad I saw it, and I'm sure it will hold up to the repeat viewings that I'll undoubtedly give it in the future.

Frozen II--again, trying to avoid spoilers, so not too much detail, but here we go...this was an epic sequel to the first movie, with a nice expansion of the world-building of the first film. The animation is amazing, and the voice acting is once again perfectly done. I like the new songs, although they seem a little less classic-Broadway and a little more influenced by pop songs and more modern theater shows. I don't think anything is going to rise to the ubiquity of "Let it Go" (which may be a good thing if you're one of the people who thought that song was overplayed to death), but they're all good both on straight musical merit and on advancing the story through the songs. The character development is good, and nothing seems to be significantly incongruous to the earlier film (or the two shorts, Frozen Fever and Olaf's Frozen Adventure). Overall, this is a satisfying continuation of the Frozen story, and I'll definitely be watching this again in the future.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Sponsored Links