View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2017, 5:12 am
Curse Breaker

Re: The NFL Football Thread v2

Pats won a classic Super Bowl. Well, it became a classic Super Bowl. The Pats played all-time bad for two and a half quarters and then spectacular for the last two quarters aggregate (including overtime). They're seriously having the "Greatest of All Time" conversation and people are calling Joe Montana the way they were calling Bart Starr in 1989 and 1990. It's interesting that Terry Bradshaw has shifted from sullen curmudgeon ("I played on the greatest team/dynasty ever." "Why don't I/we get credit?") to everybody's loveable wacky good-old-boy uncle. He'll still hold forth periodically, but he seems to have mellowed. Nearly two decades in the Hall can do that to someone, I suppose. Hasn't helped Joe Namath though.

So, things left for Brady to accomplish to bolster his argument (theoretically).

1. Another crack at some of the single-season records (unlikely, but if Gronk comes back healthy, maybe).

2. A run at an undefeated season.

If he succeeds at #2 with his level of play about what it was this year, he'll have checked off that plus a second repeat as champ. That would lead to 6 Lombardis, matching the Steelers. Solo possession of the regular season wins record.

The only other things would be the mythical 3-peat (never accomplished outside the Browns under Otto Graham, I think). And maybe matching The Bills for consecutive appearances. Both of those are ridiculously hard. Only two teams have ever been to three straight (Dolphins in the '70s are the other team) and the Bills are the only team to appear in four straight.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links