View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2015, 11:20 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
There are plenty of people who, since the casting, have been arguing that Hermione is indeed described as white (or that it's at least heavily implied). I don't expect Rowling, who's written plenty of books since the last HP book came out, to remember all the instances where she describes Hermione as pale, pink, etc. What's written down is a fact, not even the author can change that unless she writes another book. She might have meant for Hermione's skin color to be ambiguous but that's a different thing. She's also drawn Hermione as white. Like I said, I don't see why Hermione's skin color is any more in question than Snape's, for example. Or Lupin's.
Besides which, she's admitted that she didn't read the books after they're published, even for researching whatever current book she was writing.

ETA:
Actually I suspect JKR's comment has been taken too seriously. As I recall she never said Hermione was black, only that she liked the thought of Hermione being black.

ETA #2:
JKR's tweet 12/21:
Quote:
Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione.
Hermione's hair is bushy, never described as frizzy. (Sorry, couldn't hold back the nitpicker.)

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; December 23rd, 2015 at 11:45 pm.
Sponsored Links