View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2011, 4:36 am
Second Year

Re: Kingdom Of Magic [AU - Crossover with Hime-chan's Ribbon]

Ribbon and Stone
Chapter 5 - The Hat That Thinks
Quote:
"Firs' years over 'ere, firs' years!"

As the students got off of the Hogwarts Express, Harry recognized Hagrid's unique voice calling for the new students. He looked excitedly in the voice's direction. As did all the other First Years. As they got closer, Draco began being Draco again.

"Ugh, please tell me that's not what I think it is."

Hermione looked at Draco. "And just what do you think that is?"

"No more'n four to a boat, come on in now. Four to a boat an' no more!"

The conversation was cut short as they loaded into separate boats. Harry found himself in the same boat as Neville, Hermione, and Ron, while Himeko, Daichi, and Draco were all in another boat, with a girl Harry didn't recognize.

The boats floated slowly to Hogwarts, where Dumbledore was reading a letter addressed to him. He did not like the contents of the letter, but knew that they were going to be coming anyway. He sighed heavily, then set quill to parchment. The previous summer had been one of much information, but he had sworn not to act on most of it. Especially the parts about Peter Pettigrew. Dumbledore hated not doing something, but he had been warned that acting too soon would make other things worse. Still, the letter did give him food for thought. Why not change what he can now?

Severus Snape, meanwhile, was inside of the dungeons. They had been painted a cheery yellow color by the Weasley Twins, who were currently resting in the Hufflepuff common room. Snape smiled at the effect, and figured that he would announce at the Sorting Feast that it's really all thanks to Harry Potter that he's gotten a new outlook on life. He smiled almost wolfishly - he would make the boy pay for stealing his Order of Merlin, even if Pettigrew was the one that needed to die. Why let a perfectly good childhood grudge go to waste?

All the while, many plans were still in motion. If everything went according to plan, not only would Pettigrew be captured relatively quickly, but Sirius proven innocent as well. If everything went according to plan, Voldemort would have the Philosopher's Stone within his grasp by Halloween. If everything went according to plan, Draco would fall into the lake alone. Sadly, plans always go awry - Himeko was dragged into the lake after him. A little later, both blondes found themselves shoved back into the boat by a couple of rather large Tentacles.

Hagrid chuckled. "Tha'd be Iris, our Gian' Squid. Funny story I've got; one time, an' Harry, this involves yer parents, so listen up! One time, here at Hogwarts, there were a couple o' kids named Lily Evans an' James Potter. They didn't get along very well..."

Hagrid didn't get very far into the story, as his boat had just bumped into the landing. As he stood back up, he said "Oops! Well, all of yer've got to get inside now. Don' say anythin' when the Ghosts come outta the wall; they love scarin' firs' years."

The first years all climbed out of the boats and entered the castle. Himeko and Daichi rejoined Harry, Ron, Hermione and Neville, while Draco and the unknown girl were soon joined by the two Dudleys, Crabbe and Goyle. Under the watchful eye of Professor McGonagall, they were all led to a side hallway, where they waited to be sorted. Sure enough, most of the ghosts of Hogwarts came gliding out of one of the walls. Draco and Neville were scared out of their wits (having heard nothing about Hagrid to make them believe him), the Muggleborns plus Harry didn't know what to say, and the other wizard-raised just laughed.

After everyone settled down, the speculation began. It was Himeko that asked the question. "How do you think we get sorted?"

Draco smirked. "Father told me all about it. Apparently it's an ancient and most formidable test, where all your secrets are made bare to the judge."

Harry frowned. He didn't want any of his secrets being made known to anyone. Ron shook his head. "I was told that we had to wrestle a troll."

"Who told you that?" Daichi asked.

"Fred and George. Why?"

"The same Fred and George that told you it was a good idea to hide all of your mum's quills?"

Ron frowned. "Yeah, the same ones."

Harry looked at Hermione. "What do you think the sorting will be like?"

Hermione shrugged. "There wasn't anything in Hogwarts: A History about it. Probably just pulling a rabbit out of a hat."

McGonagall re-entered the room, silencing all further speculation. "Yes, well, you shall see soon enough how the sorting is done. Follow me, it's time to sort."

Exiting in silence, they all went into the Great Hall. The ceiling, according to Hermione, was enchanted to look like the sky outside. There were four tables, all crowded with students, plus a fifth table on a raised platform. There were teachers sitting there. Harry thought about all the ones that had seen him over the past year. On the far left was Professors Sinistra and Vector. Next to them were Professors Trelawney and Kettleburn, followed by Quirrel and Snape. Harry felt a sharp pain in his scar, and involuntarily reached up to rub his scar. Continuing on, there was an empty seat, then Dumbledore, then... a hat that appeared to be floating just slightly off of the ground. Next to the hat was Professor Sprout, and after here were Professors Vector and Babbage. Harry didn't recognize the rest of the staff members at the table, so he turned towards McGonagall again. She had conjured up a stool and placed a hat on it. How strange, Harry thought, but then the hat started to sing.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffis are true And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

The hat did its version of bowing, and the people at the tables clapped. Then, there was silence. "As I call your name, please come up and put on the Sorting Hat. The hat will announce to which house you will belong. Your House will be your family while you are here at Hogwarts. The prefects will explain the House Points, House Cup, and Detention systems in your common rooms."

All of the first years nodded, and the Sorting began. The first student to be called up was Hannah Abbott. She pulled the hat on her head, and after a moment the hat yelled "HUFFLEPUFF!". Susan Bones joined her at the Hufflepuff table, and Terry Boot got to go to the Ravenclaw table. Mandy Brocklehurst followed him soon after, and Lavender Brown was sent to Gryffindor. Harry was feeling queasy. He didn't think he was brave or smart or cunning or loyal. What if the Hat, who had just told Millicent Bullstrode that she was a Slytherin, simply didn't sort him?

Justin Finch-Fletchley took a full minute to be sorted, but eventually he was placed in Hufflepuff. Seamus Finnigan was called to be a Gryffindor, and he took less than a second. Next to be called was Hermione Granger. She jammed the hat on her head eagerly, but then frowned. There was a look of concentration on her face, and eventually the hat called out Gryffindor. Harry wondered about that, shouldn't she have been a Ravenclaw? The next name called was Kobayashi Daichi, who turned out to be a Slytherin. Ron groaned; Harry guessed that Ron didn't like Slytherins very much. Neville Longbottom took even longer to sort than Justin did, but eventually he too was found to be a Gryffindor. He was so relieved to be a Gryffindor that he forgot to take the hat off. After he sheepishly returned it to McGonagal, the sorting continued.

Draco Malfoy was Slytherin, the hat had barely touched his head before the name was screamed. Ernie McMillan was a Hufflepuff, Tymora Moon was a Ravenclaw, Nonohara Himeko was a Gryffindor, and Theodore Nott became a Slytherin. Padma Patil and Parvati Patil became a Ravenclaw and a Gryffindor, respectively, while Sally-Anne Perks became a Hufflepuff. Then it was Harry's turn. He placed the hat on his head (it came down below his eyes, which he was thankful for,) and was in for a surprise.

'Well well, Mister Harry James Potter. I was wondering if I'd see you this year or not.'

'Why were you wondering that?'

'You're just barely the right age to start this year. Another week or two and you'd be starting next year.'

Harry, for some inexplicable reason, thought of Molly and Ginny and himself at the burrow, waiting for another year. 'I don't think I would have minded waiting another year...'

'Really? Because I can tell the Headmaster that you'd like to wait...'

Harry panicked. 'No, that's quite alright. So which House do I belong to?'

'You, Mister Potter, are very special. You're a hard-working individual when you put your mind to the task at hand, your mind is sharp and willing to learn, you've got a surprising penchant for being sneaky and underhanded, and you'd be willing to do anything to protect the people you care about. In short, you belong in all the houses.'

'Really? I was afraid that I wouldn't belong in any of them!'

'Well, you won't really fit in anywhere, but where you will go will be entirely up to you.'

'That's just it, though. I want to stay with my friends, but Daichi was sent to Slytherin, yet the others became Gryffindors. How will I be able to stay friends with them if the Houses are different?'

'Why should that matter? I'm supposed to sort you all into houses so that the classes are easier to manage. The whole House Pride thing is more damaging to the school than anything else is.'

Harry thought about that for a moment. 'You said that my house will be up to me?'

'That's correct. Where would you like to go?'

Harry pondered this for a moment. If he was in Slytherin, he would be away from most of his friends, so that was out. If he was in Gryffindor, though, then he would only see Daichi in class and over holiday. Ravenclaw didn't sound too bad, but neither did Hufflepuff. Harry decided to ask another question.

'What house were my parents in?'

'They were both Gryffindors.'

Well, that didn't help much. Harry just shrugged and said 'Hufflepuff, I guess. This way I can be loyal to all my friends, not just some of them.'

'If you're sure, then I will place you in-'

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

There was applause from all the tables, with Hufflepuff being the loudest, but for some reason Dumbledore and Snape were looking very upset. Had he made the right decision? After he took his seat at the Hufflepuff table, he was greeted by one of the upperclassmen there. Hikaru Smethwyck became a Slytherin, and Zacharias Smith became a Slytherin.

"Wotcher, Harry Potter. I'm Nymphadora Tonks, but if you call me that, I will make you suffer."

Harry didn't know what else to say to that, so he asked "What can I call you?" as Dean Thomas became a Gryffindor.

"Just Tonks is fine. I'm a seventh year. Heard from Charlie you were staying with his family."

"Charlie Weasley?"

"He was a year ahead of me and in Gryffindor, but we were good friends." She said, wistfully. "Anyway, our prefects are Mike and Rachel, over there at the end of the table." Lisa Turpin became a Ravenclaw. "Our head of house is Pomona Sprout - oh, hey, isn't that Charlie's littlest brother?"

Harry looked at the sorting hat. Sure enough, Ron was sitting there. Harry was sure that Ron would be a Gryffindor, and he was right. Applause. "Anyhow, I'm looking forward to seeing you in the common room later. Apparently your family was legendary during their time."

Harry just gaped at her as Blaise Zabini was sorted into Slytherin. One of the older students at the end of the table did a quick head count, and whispered to the girl across from him. Eventually the talk got around to families. The people at the table shifted around so that all six first-years were grouped together.

Ernie was the first to speak. "My family's been all wizard for three generations. Not even a squib!"

Harry didn't know what to think about it, but he was strongly reminded of Draco. Dumbledore stood up, but none of the first years noticed. "I didn't even know I was a wizard until about a year ago; I vanished some glass and set a snake on my cousin."

Justin's eyes widened. "You set a snake on your cousin? Why did you do that?"

There was applause and laughter from the entire Great Hall, which startled Harry. He sighed and explained. "My aunt and uncle don't really like me, and they taught him the same way. So I grew up as being his punching bag. The magic was accidental, I found out later."

Susan Bones groaned. "I can't believe that there are people that would do that to family."

"My uncle hates magic, and my aunt was always jealous of my mum."

"Yeah, well, if any wizards ever tried that to their family, they'd have to face me auntie."

Ernie sneered. "And who is your auntie?"

"Me auntie is Madam Bones of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement."

Ernie cringed. "Oh."

Justin was the next to speak. "My parents are muggles. I was down for Eton before I got my letter. What about you, Hannah?"

Hannah had been watching the Gryffindor table for some time. Apparently a ghost had just taken his head off of his shoulders over there. "My dad's magic, my mom's muggle. Do we have a ghost?"

As if on cue, a rather thick-set man floated up through the table. "The Fat Friar, at your service. I heard we got Harry Potter?" The boy in question raised his hand nervously. "Wonderful! Maybe this time around the castle will stay intact."

Harry blinked in surprise. "What do you mean?"

The Fat Friar sighed. "Every time Hogwarts gets a Potter, they cause trouble. James Potter was the worst, terrorized the school. Sad what happened to him, though." He sniffled.

Harry just shrugged and turned to Tonks. "You're friends with Charlie Weasley? What's he like?"

"He was Gryffindor Seeker until last year; nice bloke. I liked him, too." She stabbed at her plate with her fork. "We could have been in the same year if I hadn't told the Hat I wanted to wait a year."

"The hat asked me if I wanted to wait a year," Harry said, "but I wanted to be here more."

Tonks laughed. "I like you, kid."

And with that, the Sorting Feast really began at the Hufflepuff table. One of the students that looked too young to be an upperclassman sidled over to Harry. "Harry Potter, I'm Cedric Diggory, Third Year Hufflepuff. Nice to meet you."

Harry, whose mouth was full of food, merely mumbled. "Nife foo meef you foo, Fefrif."

Cedric laughed. "Sorry, my timing is horrible. Oh, Nym, you've got something on your chin."

Harry looked around to see who Nym could be, when he saw Tonks with a large wart on her chin. "I know, Cedric." She screwed up her face in concentration, and the wart disappeared. "Damn hexes."

Harry smiled. He figured that he'd like it in Hufflepuff.
Original 1991-1992 Sorting Hat Song JK Rowling

Last Update: Episode 4.2 - Dying in the Past (9/21/2011)
When lives are at stake, there is no such thing as a fair fight.

Sponsored Links