View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2011, 4:15 am
Second Year

Re: Kingdom Of Magic [AU - Crossover with Hime-chan's Ribbon]

Ribbon and Stone
Chapter 6 - The Week In Review
Quote:
It was Tuesday Morning, the first day of classes. Dumbledore had asked the Professors to hold off on doing any instruction until September 3rd, so that he could have the Prefects give the First Years the "grand tour" of Hogwarts.

Harry was just sitting down to breakfast when the morning post came. He was mildly surprised when he received a letter by large Tawney owl.

Dear Mr. Potter

As you have no classes on Thursday Afternoons, I would like to invite you to my office during that time of the week. As your current legal guardians have little interest in how your education is going short of 'has he died yet,' I feel it to be my responsibility to act as your parent this year. The meetings will be fairly brief, mostly just 'how were your classes' and similar. Please send your reply with Hedwig; simply address it to me and she'll be able to deliver.

Albus Dumbledore

Harry looked at the parchment, fairly confused. He passed the note to Cedric, who shrugged.

"What can I say?" Cedric said around a piece of toast. "He's eccentric. I'd say you just go along with it for now. The prefects can show you where to find his office."

Harry just nodded. He looked to the delivery owl. "Er, are you Hedwig?" he asked, somewhat uncertainly. The owl puffed out his chest angrily, and hooted in an indignant manner. "Sorry, didn't mean to offend you."

Harry quickly scribbled his reply, "Yes, please" onto a spare bit of parchment. "Would you take this back to the headmaster, then?"

The owl did what Harry swore was an owlish sigh, but accepted the letter and flew off. It was only then that he took a close look at his schedule. He had Charms with the Gryffindors after breakfast, followed by Defense Against the Dark Arts before lunch. That afternoon he had double potions with the Ravenclaws. The next day he had Herbology, Transfiguration, History, and Astronomy in the evening.

He shrugged. While he'd heard from Hagrid that Snape hated his father, he didn't know what to expect.

----------

The diminutive head of Ravenclaw House, Filius Flitwick, led the first year Gryffindors up to the charms corridor after breakfast. As they passed a certain door, Harry thought he heard the growling of a large dog. Himeko and Hermione were arguing with each other.

"...but why would Dunbadoru-sensei have brought attention to it if he didn't want us going in?"

"So that we knew that we weren't to go in it!"

"But that just guarantees someone will go in it and find out why it's forbidden the hard way!"

"And why do you say that?"

"My mom's a book writer, and my dad directs movies. I know the... what's that word again, the stuff that every writer seems to use? Anyway, dad and Aiko'neechan would sit and watch some really bad American horror films and make fun of them at the same time. If you want someone to investigate something, you hide it then call attention to the fact that you're hiding something."

"This isn't a movie or a book, Himeko." Hermione said, annoyed. Professor Flitwick smiled mysteriously.

"Well, come in to the classroom, then, children."

As they all took their seats, Harry tried to sit next to Ron, who was trying to sit next to Himeko, who was trying not to sit next to Hermione, who wanted to sit next to Harry. They kept swapping seats for a full minute before Harry noticed that Flitwick had started a phonograph, and stopped it whenever all four were seated. He looked at the miniscule man, who smiled and said "Well, if you're playing musical chairs, you need to have music!"

At this, the rest of the class laughed. The four sheepishly took their seats, with Hermione and Himeko on opposite sides of Ron and Harry. Flitwick went through the class roll, and did a very dramatic squeak and falling off of his stack of books when he got to Harry's name. While amusing, Himeko said later that she thought he was acting. On this, Hermione agreed; surely he had looked at the roll when they assigned the classes.

The first charms class was spent on holding your wand properly. Most of the Muggleborns-plus-Harry were glad for this; it turned out that you grip the handle differently depending on what discipline you were casting from. Delicate charm-work, large-scale transfigurations, and alchemical shapings all had different 'fingerings,' and you'd get weird side-effects if you used the wrong fingering. After he showed the fingerings that they'd be using most that year, Flitwick then divided the class into groups, where he had them practice a simple alchemical shaping that would make a small puff of wind.

Funny, Harry thought. Didn't spells need an incantation along with the wandwork to do anything? After class was over, Flitwick was smiling broadly. None of the first years knew that he was trying a psychological experiment involving nonverbal magic.

----------

The first Defense Against The Dark Arts class turned out to be a joke. Harry remembered what Dumbledore told him at Diagon Alley, but there's a difference between 'Brushing Up' on something and getting his first practical exposure to it. Ignoring the headache that had suddenly manifested, he tried to read through his textbook instead of the man who kept tripping over his tongue. Half-listening to the lecture on how the garlic-stuffed hat was supposed to ward away Vampires, Harry read the section on Vampires in his book. Raising his hand, he asked innocently...

"But Professor Quirrel, sir, the book says that Garlic doesn't help against Vampires at all."

The timid man froze for a second, but recovered. "Yes, yes, quite right, Mister Potter. I was just about to point that out, in fact. Garlic doesn't actually ward Vampires away, but it can be helpful in hiding from them. As I found out in Albania this past summer, Vampires rely heavily on their noses, so if you can mask your scent all the better. Garlic in particular is very overpowering, so as long as you're smart about it you can completely avoid Vampires altogether."

The rest of the class was spent memorizing wand movements for the Stinging Hex, which according to Quirrel was useful for warding off troublesome (if otherwise innocent) troublemakers.

----------

That afternoon, the first-year Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs gathered outside of the Potions classroom apprehensively. On the one hand, they had all heard that Snape was 'unfair' and 'biased' and 'so incredibly depressing'. On the other hand, what kind of incredibly depressing person paints all his rooms sunflower yellow?

Snape smiled mirthlessly, when he saw Harry standing with the rest of the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws. "Potter! Why aren't you in class?" Everyone just stared at him like he had two heads. Realizing his mistake in assuming those books that Albus had read to him over the summer would be perfectly accurate, he simply opened the door and said "Get inside, all of you."

The yellow in the room was somewhat less bright than the rest of the dungeons; there were spots that looked like they had beem just splashed on to the wall. Snape sighed; with a flick of his wand, he evened out the paint.

"Sit down, all of you. You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potionmaking. As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."

The words had a note of fatalism to them, almost as though Snape expected them to be dunderheads. Harry chanced a quick glance around the room. On either side of him were two Ravenclaws that Harry thought were named Teddy Boot and Tamara Moon. Apparently, however, Snape thought Harry wasn't paying attention to the lecture, so he shot a question at him.

"Potter! What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Harry blinked in surprise. "A potion?" The class laughed, and Snape groaned. He remembered a red-haired girl giving Horace Slughorn that same answer in his first Potions class.

"One point from Gryffindor for your cheek."

Teddy Boot elbowed Harry before he could correct Snape. From the corner of his mouth, he whispered "Don't bother, it would just make it worse." Harry looked around; all the other Ravenclaws had given the other Hufflepuffs the same advice.

Snape glared at Teddy Boot, and shot another question at Harry. "Where would you look if I told you to fetch me a bezoar?"

Harry scratched his head. "Wherever you keep the bezoars at, I guess." Snape facepalmed, and the class laughed again. "Five points from Gryffindor for your cheek, Potter. Do it again and I will give you detention. Now, what's the difference between Monkshood and Wolfsbane?"

Now that one Harry had heard Molly Weasley joke about once or twice. Besides, it wasn't like Hufflepuff was losing the points. "One's a hermit and the other howls at the moon."

Snape scowled at the memory. Those were exactly the same answers that Lily had given all those years ago. "Ten points from Gryffindor for your cheek, and detention with me Friday Evening."

Hannah Abbott, sitting in the back next to Susan Bones, raised her hand. "Yes, Miss Abbott?"

"Professor Snape, sir, Harry's a Hufflepuff."

Snape frowned. "Very well then, sixteen points from Hufflepuff for your cheek, Potter."

Susan just glared at Hannah. Teddy Boot took out a parchment and quill, and motioned for Tamara Moon and Harry to do the same. Snape started to speak, and the two Ravenclaws started to note down what Snape said. "For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite. Well? Why aren't you all copying that down?"

Teddy Boot smirked; how did he know that was coming? Harry looked at the list on his own parchment. "1. Sleeping Potion 'Draught of Living Death' 2. Goat Stomach (something about poison) 3. Same Plant"

There was a scratching of Parchment, and Snape sat behind his desk. With a flick of his wand, instructions appeared on a blackboard. "Today, you will be working on a simple potion to dye hair blue. I would have you work on a potion to cure boils, but Professor Flitwick has told me you have not yet had a shaping for starting flames. Potions for dying hair blue do not require any heat, so you will make one of those instead, and we will cure boils next week."

Harry was the last to get his ingredients. One of them was a vial of blue food coloring. Figuring it couldn't hurt to have it handy, he took it along with everything else.

Snape looked at Harry. How very Muggle of him to take the blue food coloring. He had to keep himself from smiling; somehow today had been almost exactly the same as the first Potions class he had ever attended, right down to Lily... Lily's son taking the food coloring 'just in case'. He motioned for Harry to come over to his desk. He whispered at the boy, and Harry almost missed it entirely.

"Five points to Hufflepuff for ingenuity, now go make your hair dyeing potion."

----------

"...he actually gave you points?" Dumbledore asked, genuinely concerned for the mental health of his Potions Master.

"He didn't want the others to hear it, and we were still down by eleven anyway." Harry answered. Dumbledore sighed; that was somewhat better than what could have been. "What's in the forbidden room?" Harry asked, curious.

Dumbledore chuckled. "Something that was almost stolen out of Gringotts the very day we were getting your wand. It's a good thing I took it out when I did, Nicolas would have severely injured me if I had let it into the wrong hands."

"But what's in the forbidden room?"

"Something that I must forbid you from looking for. Now, do tell me about the classes you had Yesterday."

Harry knew the dismissal when he heard it, and continued with the story.

----------

Wednesday morning was a fairly drab day, and the first year Hufflepuffs marched through the rain to the Greenhouses, where their Head of House waited for them. They were joined by the Gryffindors for this class again. Harry wondered if he'd ever get to see Daichi and Draco at this rate.

When they were all inside of Greenhouse One, Harry noticed that they were still getting rained on. Hermione must have noticed the confused look on his face, since she simply whispered "Charmed to mimic the weather outside, except for heat and humidity." Harry nodded as though in agreement. Professor Sprout went through the roll, and said "Harry Potter" quite proudly. In fact, once Harry noticed it, she had named all of the Hufflepuff students just as proudly.

"Welcome to Herbology, everyone. As you have guessed, we'll be working with plants in this class, so you won't need your wand very often. More usually, you'll need whatever supplies I leave out on this front desk. Professor Dumbledore wants me to start a batch of Mandrakes this year, and I have the second-year Ravenclaws and Slytherins same time as you all over in Greenhouse Two, so if you see earmuffs in a box, that's why. Today we'll be discussing what plants you'll be working with during first year. I've told my second-years to stay in the castle today, since I'll be spending too much time with you all today to work with them at all."

Harry just nodded, further dazed. He resolved to ask Hermione for the short version of the lecture later.

----------

Transfiguration was with the Slytherins. Immediately on arriving, Harry stood next to Daichi and resolved to sit next to him, too. Unfortunately, Draco Malfoy seemed to have the same idea.

Professor McGonagall, head of Gryffindor House, gave off that same no-nonsense aura that Professor Snape had given during his leading lecture. She saw the three boys standing together, and was suddenly reminded of James Potter, Remus Lupin, and Sirius Black. She had the entire class sit down (with Harry, Draco, and Daichi sitting in separate corners of the room at her insistance), and began her lecture.

"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," she said. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned." Then she changed her desk into a pig and back again. They were all very impressed and couldn't wait to get started, but soon realized they weren't going to be changing the furniture into animals for a long time.

After taking a lot of complicated notes, they were each given a match and started trying to turn it into a needle. By the end of the lesson, nobody had managed to change their match into a needle, although both Draco and Harry had at least managed to turn theirs silver, and Daichi's had gone all pointy. Everyone with a partial transfiguration was awared two points, but the entire class was instructed to read the textbook and practice the transfiguration for Friday's class.

----------

That afternoon, the Slytherins joined the Hufflepuffs for History of Magic, which was by far the most boring class. Professor Binns, it turned out, had been dead for a hundred years and never noticed it. Draco loudly wondered if the class would have been any livelier if the teacher were a bit less transparent, but other than that the class was wasted. He didn't even bother taking roll (which both Daichi and Harry noticed).

The most useful thing Harry learned in his first History of Magic class, aside from the fact that Cuthbert Binns didn't take attendance, was that the castle had once been the home of a monster so dangerous, it had to be contained within a legendary chamber said to be hidden away under the school. Harry wondered briefly if the monster that had been sealed away was helping guard whatever Dumbledore had taken out of Gringotts back in July.

----------

"No, Harry, I'm afraid that the Chamber of Secrets has nothing to do with Nicolas Flamel's stone." Dumbledore said, chuckling. Harry looked at Dumbledore.

"Er, who's Nicolas Flamel?"

"He's an old family friend; I promised him I'd help safeguard his stone."

"What's so special about his stone?"

"I'm sure you and your friends will discover that throughout the year. How was Astronomy?"

"I got rained on, Himeko came down with a cold, it turns out that Teddy Boot and Tamara Moon are actually Terry Boot and Tymora Moon, and Draco and Ron decided that they don't like each other at all. Oh, and Professor Babbage is a bit of an airhead, if you ask me. May I have a lemon drop?"

Dumbledore chuckled. "Of course you may, Harry. Of course you may."

----------

In a kingdom long since hidden from prying eyes, great things were afoot. The princess of the Kingdom of Magic, Erika of the house of Vulcan, was beginning her Trials for ascending to being the crown princess. Her father called her forward before the Court.

"Erika, you are now old enough to begin the Trials. Have you decided on what your Item will be?"

"Yes, father. I will make a ribbon that can transform the wearer into any living human."

"Very well then. You have three months to make your item and to deliver it to your Other."

"I understand, Father."

Last Update: Episode 4.2 - Dying in the Past (9/21/2011)
When lives are at stake, there is no such thing as a fair fight.

Sponsored Links