View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2007, 7:34 am
Fourth Year

Re: Fan Scripts: Script your own version of Harry Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
I probably will make a shorter Quidditch scene than in the real movie. I.e. jumping straight to when Harry is jinxed
That's cool. Quidditch is hard to write though imo..that's why I try to avoid it as much as possible lol. Well as a treat here is the next part of the screenplay. Let me know what you think!

INT. ORPHANAGE-MIDDAY (SIXTY YEARS AGO)

The scene fades to a shot of an old ORPHANAGE. The scene cuts to the back of MRS. COLE head as she writes something. There is a creak at the door and she looks up to see Dumbledore walking towards a woman. The camera pans over to his right and we see modern day Harry and Dumbledore walking behind him.

HARRY
Nice suit, sir.

DUMBLEDORE
Why thank you.

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
Hello, my name is Albus Dumbledore. I am a teacher and I have come to offer Tom a place at my school.

MRS. COLE
And how come you’re interested in Tom?

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
We believe he has qualities we are looking for.
(He takes out a slip of paper.)
I think this will make everything clear.

(Mrs. Cole grabs the parchment and looks over it.)

MRS. COLE
This looks in order; may I offer you a glass of gin?

INT-MRS. COLE’S OFFICE-MIDDAY(MOMENTS LATER)

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
I was wondering whether you could tell me anything of Tom Riddle’s history? I think he was born here in the orphanage?

MRS. COLE
That’s right, it was a nasty night.
(There is a FLASH and the scene plays out as she talks. We see Merope running, pregnant, in the rain towards the orphanage and pushes the door open)
This girl, not much older than I was myself at the time, came and we took her in.
(Merope is now in the bed screaming in pain as young Mrs. Cole wipes a wet towel over her head and a baby is brought into the frame and sat on her chest)
She had the baby in an hour and she was dead in another hour. She told me he was to be named Tom for his father, and Marvolo, for her father and his surname was to be Riddle.
(As she says this we see Merope take her final breath and die. Young Mrs. Cole picks up the baby and there is a shot of the baby looking up at her. Not crying just silent.)
She died soon after that without another word.
(There is another FLASH as we're back to modern day and she takes a sip of gin)
He’s a funny boy.

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
Oh really, how so?

MRS. COLE
He’s definitely got a place at your school you say? And nothing I can say will change that?

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
Nothing.

MRS. COLE
Well…he scares the other children.

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
You mean he’s a bully?

MRS. COLE
I think he must be but it’s very hard to catch him at it. For instance we took them out once to the seaside for a summer outing. Amy Benson and Dennis Bishop were never quite right afterwards, and all we ever got out of them was that they’d gone into a cave with Tom Riddle.

DUMBLEDORE
A cave?

MRS. COLE
Yes and he swore they’d just gone exploring, but something happened in there, I’m sure of it.

INT-TOM’S BEDROOM-MIDDAY (MOMENTS LATER)

The scene cuts to Mrs. Cole opening a door and walking in. Old Dumbledore follows as does Modern Dumbledore and Harry. We see sitting on the bed a young boy, A young Tom Riddle.

MRS. COLE
Tom you’ve got a visitor. This is Mr. Dumberton…sorry, Dunderbore.
(She turns to Dumbledore)
Call me when you’re done.

Mrs. Cole exits

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
How do you do, Tom? I am Professor Dumbledore.

TOM
Professor? What are you here for? Did she get you in to have a look at me?

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
No, in fact I contacted her.

TOM
I don’t believe you. She wants me looked at, doesn’t she? Tell the truth!

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
I have no reason to lie to you Tom and please watch your tone. I work at a school called Hogwarts. I have come to offer you a place at my school, if you would like to come.

TOM
You’re from the asylum aren’t you? That old cat’s the one who should be in the asylum. I never did anything to little Amy Benson or Dennis Bishop, you can ask them!

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
I am not from the asylum. Hogwarts is a school for people with special abilities…

TOM
I’M NOT MAD!

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
I know that you are not mad. Hogwarts is not a school for mad people. It is a school of magic.

TOM
(With a stunned look on his face.)
Magic…it’s magic what I can do?

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
What is it that you can do?

TOM
(Excited)
All sorts. I can make things move without touching them. I can make animals do what I want them to do, without training them. I can make bad things happen to people who annoy me. I can make them hurt if I want to. I knew I was different, I knew I was special.

HARRY
Wow, he believed it much quicker than I did sir.

DUMBLDORE
Yes, Tom was perfectly ready to believe that he was special.

TOM
Are you a wizard too?

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
Yes, I am.

TOM
Prove it.

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
If, as I take it, you are accepting your place at Hogwarts….

TOM
Of course I am!

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
Then you are to address me as ‘Professor’ or ‘sir’

Dumbledore takes out his wand and points in at the wardrobe in the corner. BANG! It bursts into flame. Tom stares with excitement in his eyes and Dumbledore waves his wand again and its back to normal.

TOM
Where can I get one of them?

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
All in good time, I think there is something trying to get out of your wardrobe. Open the door.

Tom hesitates and then walks over and opens the wardrobe door. He pulls out a cardboard box that is shaking. He opens it and it’s has a yo yo, a silver thimble, and a tarnished mouth organ in it.

DUMBLEDORE
Notice how Tom likes to collect trophies Harry. Those items in that box were taken from victims of his bullying behavior, souvenirs, if you will, of particulary unpleasant bits of magic. Bare in mind this magpie like tendency, for this, particularly, will be important later.

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
Is there anything in that box that you ought not to have?

TOM
I suppose so, sir.

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
You are to return them to their owners with your apologies. And be warned: Thieving is not tolerated at Hogwarts. Hogwarts can expel students and the Ministry of Magic will punish lawbreakers. All new wizards must accept that, in entering our world, they abide by our laws.

TOM
Yes, sir. There’s one problem though… I don’t have any money.

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
There is a fund at Hogwarts for those who require assistance to buy books and robes.

TOM
Where do you buy spellbooks?

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
In Diagon Alley, I can help you find everything…

TOM
I don’t need you, I’m used to doing things for myself. How do you get to this Diagon Alley…sir?

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
You will be able to see it. Ask for Tom the barman…
(Tom frowns when the name Tom is said.)
You dislike the name ‘Tom’?

TOM
There are a lot of Toms.

DUMBLEDORE
As you just saw Harry, he hated anything that tied him to other people, anything that made him ordinary. He shed his name, as you know, within a few short years of this and created the mask of ‘Lord Voldemort’ behind which he has been hidden for so long.

TOM
When do I come to this Hogwarts?

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
All the details are there Tom. You will leave from King’s Cross-station on the first of September.

TOM
I can speak to snakes. Is that normal for a wizard?

YOUNG DUMBLEDORE
It is unusual, but not unheard of.
(HE turns and walks towards the door.)
Good bye Tom…I shall see you in Hogwarts.

The scene shows a shot of Tom looking at Dumbledore. The camera then pans back through the door and slams.

INT-COURTYARD-EVENING (NEXT DAY)

The scene cuts to Harry, Hermione, and Ron walking outside of Hogwarts in the courtyard.

RON
I still don’t get why Dumbledore’s showing you all this. I mean, what’s the point?

HERMIONE
I think it’s fascinating actually. It makes total sense to know as much about Voldemort as possible, how else will you find out his weaknesses?

RON
So how was Slughorn’s latest party?

HERMIONE
It was quite fun actually. I mean he drones on about famouse ex pupils a bit, and he absolutely fawns over McLaggen because he’s so well connected, but it was really nice.

RON
Oh yeah such a great thing to spend an evening with McLaggen huh Hermione.

HERMIONE
Jealous?

RON
Well I….

HERMIONE
Anyways, he’s going to have a Christmas party and Harry there’s no way to wiggle out of this one because he actually asked me to check your free evenings, so he could be sure to have it on a night you could come.

HARRY
Excellent, thanks Hermione

RON
And this is another party just for Slughorns favorites, isn’t it?

HERMIONE
The Slug Club, yes.

RON
Slug Club! That’s pathetic. Well I hope you enjoy the party Hermione, why don’t you try hooking up with McLaggen, you guys could be King and Queen Slug.
(He and Harry laugh)

HERMIONE
Well we are allowed to bring guests and I was going to ask you to come, but if you think it’s stupid then I won’t bother.

RON
(With a slight blush and amazed look on his face)
You…. were going to ask me?

HERMIONE
Yes, but obviously if you’d rather I hooked up with McLaggen

RON
No..um what I meant was…

HERMIONE
I’m off to the library, see you two.

(She walks away with a slight smile on her face)

RON
Was she serious? Do you think she was serious? Or was she just…you know…

HARRY
Oh Ron, you act like you actually want to go to Slughorns party.

RON
Oh…me..no…I mean…unless she asked me of course. But then I’ll be going just to be a good friend, not that I’ll enjoy it or anything.

HARRY
(Laughing)
You’re pathetic

(They turn around and corner and see Ginny and Dean kissing.)

RON
What the…(They stop kissing.)

GINNY
What?

RON
I don’t want to find my own sister snogging people in public.

DEAN
C’mon Ginny lets go back to the common room…

GINNY
You go, I want a word with my dear brother!
(He kisses her on the cheek and walks away.)
Lets get this straight once and for all. It is none of your business who I go out with or what I do with them, Ron…

RON
Yeah, it is! D’you think I want people saying my sister’s a…

GINNY
A what exactly?

HARRY
He doesn’t mean anything, Ginny…

GINNY
Oh yes he does! Just because he’s never snogged anyone in his life, just because the best kiss he’s ever had is from our Auntie Muriel…

RON
Shut your mouth!

GINNY
No, I will not! If you went out and got a bit of snogging done yourself, you wouldn’t mind so much that everyone else does it!

RON
(He pulls his wand out)
You don’t know what you’re talking about!
(Harry jumps between them)
Just because I don’t do it in public!!

GINNY
Oh come off it Ron! Or have you got a picture of Auntie Muriel stashed under your pillow?

A streak of orange light flies from his wand and BANG! it hits the wall beside Ginny’s head. Harry grabs his and pushes him against the wall.

HARRY
Don’t be stupid…

GINNY
(Near Tears)
Harry’s snogged Cho Chang and Hermione snogged Victor Krum, it’s only you who acts like it’s something disgusting, Ron, and that’s because you’ve got as much experience of a six year old!

She turns around and storms off. Ron puts his wand away.

HARRY
You ok?

RON
Yeah, she’s just being stupid.
(They start to walk.)
Um Harry? D’you think Hermione really snogged Krum?

HARRY
Oh…um…look at the time gotta go

He runs off leaving Ron with a confused look on his face as the scene cuts to….

Sponsored Links