Fourth Year

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series

From an old post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrisTheClock View Post
Worst: Harry and Ginny.

Harry and Cho.

Ron and Lavender.

Again, they all act nothing like a couple would in their situations.
Well, they are mostly nothing like a couple, the last two pairs.

Harry and Ginny, on the other hand—this has been hashed and rehashed, but that doesn't make it untrue: They really have no spark. It's remarkable. I don't think it's the situation, for the pairing in the book works all right, if not spectacularly, but on the screen, it feels surprisingly flat. I don't think it's the direction, since the two were put into situations and blockings that I thought should've worked. Even the infamous shoelace scene—which I had no intrinsic problem with (I don't care that it's not in the books, and the awkwardness could work for the scene)—just feels like they went through the motions. Same with the scene in the room of requirement.

I think my problem is that she's just too cool and serene and unruffled, and she's not supposed to be like that. She doesn't look nervous around him. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Daniel Radcliffe is some phenomenal actor (though he did get better as the series went along), but she seems flatter and more wooden than he does. And I don't think her character is written that way in the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensieve_Seeker View Post
The HP story was written as a ring composition, therefore, in order for Harry to have wound up with Cho in Book 7, there would have to have been something about him noticing her in Book 1.
Not everything in the series has to be like that. It turned out to be that way with Ginny, yes, but I don't think it would have stuck out like a sore thumb if it hadn't.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Sponsored Links