View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2013, 4:34 pm
First Year

Re: A Total Change of Plans

CHAPTER 3 -

Diagon Alley was, well, an alley.

It was a long road with tons of stores on each side of the street. To name some of the stores, there was an Apothecary for potion ingredients, a Cauldron shop for cauldrons of course, the Daily Prophet offices, Flourish & Blotts for books, and Madam Malkin’s for robes of all sorts. But the ones which interested me the most were Ollivander’s for wands, Eeylops Owl Emporium for all owls, Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlour, and the most interesting one of all, Quality Quidditch Supplies.

I was so excited about the fact that all of this was real. Quidditch was actually a sport that I could play, adding to the list of all the other Muggle sports that I love. I was desperate to hop on a broom and get started, but of course we had to go shopping first.

We headed off to Gringotts bank to do a money change. My parents had dipped into the college savings they had for me in order to pay for all of the supplies I would need. Joseph was tagging along, although he looked quite bored and annoyed. When we had told him that I was a witch he just laughed and noted that he always thought I had been adopted.

After meeting the terrifying Goblins of Gringotts and getting our wizarding world money, we travelled from shop to shop, crossing off items from the list in my letter to Hogwarts. We got my robes, my books, cauldrons, all of that school stuff that was necessary. My family decided to also get an owl, so that we could send letters to and from Hogwarts. We ended up with a white and gray barn owl, who had immediately taken a liking to Joseph, who actually really liked the bird.

“Can we call him Dude?” he asked, scratching the head of the pretty owl.

“Are you crazy? That sounds ridiculous. We should name him bandit because of the gray across his eyes,” I exclaimed.

“I could live with that, I guess.”

Lastly, we went to Ollivander’s to get him to check out this wand I had found. He was incredibly confused first off, but as I told him the story and explained the notes and such, he smiled knowingly.

“This wand right here is quite magnificent. An obviously very powerful wizard or witch have planted these in your attic. Do you think you could talk to the previous owners and see if it was them? Don’t ask them full out if their wizards or something of the sort, because they could be Muggles, but write them a letter saying you’d like to have tea with them. Be careful to make sure that they are definitely wizards before you reveal your wand, my dear,” he said, in a kind of quiet yet stern voice.

“Mr. O-Ollivander, sir. I was wondering if you could tell us what type of wand it is? As in the core and such?” My mum asked a little timidly.

“Well, dear, it seems that even Muggles find things out in ways even the greatest wizards can’t. This wand is 11 ” long, the type of wood is Maple and Walnut, and the core is a Demiguise Hair. The core makes your wand perfect for Transfiguration. I, of course, do not sell or make wands with that core but I don’t think any wand maker I know does. I guess when you talk to the previous owners of your house you should find out where the wand has come from,” he replied still examining the wand.

“Um, excuse me sir,” I said. “I was wondering whether two kids have come here by the names of Brad and Skye?”

“Well, yes they have. You know them, do you? Well they did have the same exact wand except for the cores. Skye’s was a Hippogriff Talon –“ he started.

“Oh she would have loved that! Those are her favourite magical creatures!” I exclaimed as Mr. Ollivander smiled and continued.

“Yes, she said the same thing to me. Your friend Brad’s wand had the core of Leprechaun Hair which is only useful for people with an Irish origin.”

“Yeah, he’s full Irish.”

“And what, if I may ask, is your background dear?” he asked.

“I’m English and French,” I replied, beaming with proud.

“Ah, yes, yes. Of course.. I should have known,” he said faintly as he walked to the back of his store and came back with a long thing box that looked like the one I had gotten her wand from. “Well, Ms. Melrosen, I am pleased to inform you that I have a wand for you if you’d like to try,” he said as he opened the box and a wand with a leather handle was sitting in it. I picked up the wand while handing my mum other and held in the air in front of her.

“I feel a kind of tingling feeling. A bit tingly, actually,” I replied and did the ``swish and flick motion that I had read about in the books. I didn’t have to say anything all of a sudden the box which was just holding the wand started to hover in front of my eyes.

“B-but, I thought that only one wand is fit for one person?” stammered my mum, as she watched the wand box fly around the room.

(A/N: Earlier on, In Skye’s POV)

Skye’s family was quite a big one and very close but ever since Dumbledore had come to her house and explained everything, they’ve drifted apart. Her younger and older sister refuse to talk to her because she can do magic and they can’t. Kind of like Petunia with Lily, thought Skye as she walked down Diagon Alley with her parents to Gringotts.

Once they got there and were entering, she read something that scared her a bit about this big place filled with goblins.

Enter, stranger, but take heed
Oh what awaits the sin of greed,
For those who take, but do not earn,
Must pay most dearly in their turn.
So if you seek beneath our floors
A treasure that was never yours,
Thief, you have been warned, beware
Of finding more than treasure there.

She wondered what else would be guarding the vaults throughout Gringotts. Then she remembered the dragons and smiled. Her parents showed a goblin the letter that Dumbledore had given them. It told the goblins that Skye’s parents were Muggles and didn’t really understand the magical world yet. The main goblin which they were talking to, snickered at their reactions to all the other goblins at their stations. Skye laughed with him and the goblin seemed a bit surprised at her reaction but continued on with changing their money into wizarding world money.

When they exited Gringotts, Skye’s parents were practically mesmerized with the big gold and silver coins. They walked around and checked off everything they needed on the list. Lastly, they went into Ollivanders to ask about the wand. As they approached the old looking store where all wizards in England get their wands, a familiar friend walked out of the store with his father.

“Hi Brad!” she exclaimed while she walked towards him and his father, Bruce.

“Hey Skye! I just got my new wand because Ollivander said mine wasn’t perfect for me but this one is!” he said as he held up his new wand proudly. “Guess what the core is?”

“Oh, Brad. Don’t go getting all cocky now,” laughed Bruce as he shook Skye’s father’s hand and kissed her mother on the cheek.

“Shush, Dad. It’s a Leprechaun Hair,” he beamed. “It’s perfect for me because I’m Irish and Ollivander said it can get temperamental for people who aren’t Irish.”

“Wow, that’s so cool. I hope mine is like that, but obviously not a Leprechaun Hair,” she laughed. “I hope it has something to do with a magical creature as well. Maybe a Hippogriff.”

When my parents and I got home from our trip to Diagon Alley, I went straight up to my room with all the things we had bought today so I could sort them into the wonderful trunk my parents had found in our storage. The first thing I thought I should pack was my robes on one side of the trunk with a few Muggle clothing as well, for lounging around at the castle. I decided not to pack my books yet because I wanted to read them all.

Hopefully I can do it before the school year starts, I thought to myself.

“Laya, dear! Wash up for dinner and come down,” my mother called up the stairs just as I opened my book for Potions.

“Oh well, I’ll just start later,” I mumbled as I put the book on my side table and walked down the hall to the bathroom to wash up.

A few minutes later I was walking down the front hall towards my kitchen. Mmm, the smell of spaghetti wafted towards me as I entered our kitchen. My mum’s spaghetti was my absolute favourite, and I guess she made it because of the crazy week we’ve had.

“Laya, could you please set the table?” asked my mum, while stirring the pot of spaghetti sauce.

“Sure mum!”

As I was putting utensils beside the last plate, my brother walked in with my dad trailing behind him. He brushed past me roughly and sat down in my seat.

“Excuse me, Joseph, but that’s my seat,” I said with my hands on my hips in my mother’s famous pose and with her famous glare.

My chuckled at me and said, “Well, you should be scared now Joseph, she’s turning out to be just like her moth- ouch!” He was cut off because my mother had hit him on the back of the head.

“Joseph, move.”

“Fine,” he snarled as he got up and moved to where I was standing to sit down.

“Don’t use that tone of voice with your sister,” my dad said with a smile as he sat down at the head of the table and I sat down on his left.

While my mum was finishing up with cooking, me and my dad talked about Hogwarts and how it’ll be really awesome to finally see it in real life instead of just seeing the set in the movies. Then I asked a question which had been bothering me a lot these days.

“Mum, if the Harry Potter series was all fake then how come J.K Rowling could do the set for the movies and all that information that she supposedly made up?”

“Well dear, you don’t know whether Hogwarts really looks like it does in the movies and if it does then maybe a lot of castles look alike? The latter is most likely true because it happens a lot in the Isles,” she replied setting the pot of spaghetti in the centre of the table and taking a seat.

“Your mother is right, Laya. It might look the same or it might not. Guess you’ll find out on the first of September,” he said, as he dug into the pot and filled his plate.

“I don’t think I can wait that long!” I mumbled between mouthfulls. “Maybe Joseph is a wizard too?” This made him sit up straighter.

“You think?” he asked, trying to hide his happiness.

“Well you could be, it’s all a matter of time. We’ll have to wait a year until you’re eleven. Also, have to talked to the previous owners of the house yet, mum?”

“I’m going to give them a call tomorrow afternoon, dear,” she smiled.

After we finished eating, my family went into the living room to watch some television while I went upstairs to start my reading. I never really watched TV unless soccer was on. Oh, and Saturday morning cartoons of course. I crawled into my bed, surrounded by the books and did a simple “eenie-meenie-minie-moe” to determine which one I should delve into first.

The next morning I woke up with the sun rise, at 6:34am. I just felt like I needed to be awake. After I washed up, I walked downstairs to see if anyone else was up. Halfway down the stairs, I heard a bang from the kitchen. I went down the stairs as quietly as I could to see who or what was down there.

As I approached the open door of my kitchen I suddenly thought to myself that I must be just freaking myself out. It’s probably just my parents or brother. Boy, was I wrong. The minute I entered the kitchen, I pointed my wand towards the shadowed figure sitting at my kitchen table.

“Who goes there?” I asked in the strongest voice I could muster. It turned out to be croaky and quiet.

The person at the table jumped up and held a stick out. Another wand? I thought. I reached towards the light switch and the second I flicked it up I yelled ‘Stupefy!’ A red light shot out from the tip of my wand and the other person in my kitchen dropped to the ground. I hurried over and stared down at the man.

“What’s going on?” I heard from the door. When I got up I saw my dad standing at the doorway with my mum right behind him. I pointed to the ground in front of me.

“Our previous owner has arrived, I think,” I said and my parents hurried over to see the scared face of the intruder.

go 'claws!

Last edited by kathleen_hpffl; July 27th, 2013 at 4:40 pm.
Sponsored Links