View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:39 am
First Year

Re: Clues From JKR's Favorite Books

Harry reminds me so much of Emma; I get the same feeling of frustration for both characters because they seem so determined to misunderstand the events and people around them. I really do think, that behind all the fantasy and wizardry, this series is about the same themes as Austen's works. As you said, both Emma and Harry have trouble recognizing their own feelings. And in a larger sense, both at first misjudge people before seeing their true worth. This theme is repeated so many times in HP, (Siruis, Hermione, etc.,) that I have to think it will play a major role in the final. Right now, Harry's beliefs are false, fake, just like the fake locket he recovers at the end. He'll have to change his beliefs in order to find the true locket & the real path to wisdom.

The biggest Austen parallel I see is between HP and "Pride and Prejudice." And the parallel characters are Snape and Harry. Snape is very prideful & reserved, just like Darcy. And Harry is very confident & prone to form snap judgments, just like Lizzy. In the HP books, you can see Harry's "self-delusion" slowly grow, from Harry's negative first impression of Snape, through numerous red herrings, & spun/false information given by his enemies, all creating an unshakeable (false) opinion of who Snape really is. I think JKR has orchestrated this all to create a "false" impression of Snape, leading Harry and the reader into self-deception. It's almost exactly like how Lizzy spends the first half hating Darcy because of the negative first impressions & false stories she hears from Wickham. Then comes the "revelation" - the truth. And that revelation is soul-shaking, because it directly contradicts the false tower of delusion that has been built. Lizzy's "revelation" came with Darcy's letter; maybe Harry's own revelation will come from reading a letter by Snape?

One critic said that P&P is actually a mystery, in which detective Lizzy must "solve" the mystery of Darcy's real character. With all the mysteries in the HP series, I think the central mystery is the nature of Snape's character. It's been introduced in so many ways from the very beginning of the series - is Snape good or bad? Is he friend or foe? Snape's also got that gothic hero think going on - Snape seems like a combination of Darcy & Heathcliff to me. That said, it's interesting that JKR hasn't cited any gothic novels as among her favorites. It seems like she's actually structuring the series as a mystery novel.

The mudblood/pureblood thing could be a parallel to the commoner/aristocrat conflict that exists in many Austen novels. The Malfoys remind me a lot of Caroline Bingley, Darcy and other Austen "snobs." I wonder if maybe JKR used Austen for some of the "class conflicts" that exist in her novels?

Last edited by MarieNC; May 22nd, 2007 at 12:47 am.
Sponsored Links