View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2007, 6:24 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
Bellatrix seemed to like doing what was expected of her. Marrying a pure blood was expected, and becoming a Death Eater would give her that same structure - having set expectations. She totally set her identity around Voldemort, and couldn't handle his absence and that lack of expectation after he was gone. I think that on some subconscious level, Bellatrix actually wanted to go to Azkaban, because then her very existence would always be fulfilling this expectation of Voldemort no matter if he did or didn't come back.
Agreed - I hadn't made the connection that Bella may have wanted to go to Azkaban on one level because it'd prove her devotion. Snape even sort of called her out on this in Spinner's End. I'm sure she didn't enjoy it, but she knew her devotion would be rewarded. She said so to Crouch prior to entering Azkaban, and she said so to Snape after leaving. I guess her way of dealing with Azkaban was her steadfast belief that Voldy would come back.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Sponsored Links