View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2008, 6:27 am
First Year

Re: The Hobbit movie news

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione
I agree with you on the point that there is no source material for this "bridge" movie. I'm interested to see it, just because I like LotR, but it kind of seems like they're just going to make up the second movie. That doesn't sound too smart to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took
My feelings exactly, hon.

I mean, I will watch anything about Middle-earth if it's well done but ... I dunno ... they've gotta base this thing on something the good Professor actually wrote.

Professor Tolkien included in the appendices to The Lord of the Rings a timeline, The Tale of Years, that chronicles events in Middle-earth. There is enough information there, in my opinion, to support a film, or at least to provide a basis for the story. Here are some highlights that could be used. Words in parenthesis are mine:

-Bard (a human character from The Hobbit) rebuilds, and becomes King of, the township of Dale, which was destroyed by Smaug the dragon.

-Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo in the Shire.

-Gollum leaves his cave in search of The Ring and "Baggins". Later he enters Mordor, and becomes acquainted with Shelob. (Further events involving Gollum, his capture by Sauron and his subsequent escape, Gandalf and Aragorn's search for him, Aragorn's capture of him, his imprisonment by the Elvenking [Thranduil], and another escape, all happen after Bilbo's farewell party, but possibly could be worked into this new film.)

-Théoden is born, and later becomes King of Rohan.

-Sauron declares himself openly, rebuilds his tower Barad-dûr in Mordor. Sends three Nazgûl to reoccupy Dol Guldur.

-Elrond reveals Aragorn's ancestry and true identity to him. He meets Arwen, daughter of Elrond.

-The last meeting of the White Council. They debate the Rings. Saruman lies that he has discovered that the One Ring washed downriver and into the sea. Saruman withdraws to Isengard, takes it as his own, and fortifies it. Being jealous and afraid of Gandalf, he sets spies to watch all his movements, and notes Gandalf's interest in the Shire.

-Aragorn meets Gandalf, and their friendship begins. Aragorn undertakes his journeys, and in disguise, serves Denethor's father in Gondor and Théoden's father in Rohan.

-Births of Frodo, Boromir, Faramir and Samwise. (In that order. Faramir and Sam in the same year.)

-Aragorn enters Lórien, and there meets again Arwen Undómiel. They pledge to marry (as mentioned in their scene in Rivendell on the bridge, in FotR).

-Denethor's father dies, and he becomes Steward of Gondor.

-Balin (whose tomb we see in FotR), enters Moria. He later dies, and the dwarf-colony is destroyed.

-Saruman dares to use the palantír he knew was in the tower of Orthanc, but becomes ensnared by Sauron, who has another palantír (Denethor has another, though we don't see it in the film). Saruman becomes a traitor to the White Council. His spies report that the Shire is being closely guarded by the Rangers, allies of Aragorn.

~

Christopher Tolkien has a tight hold on the rights to his father's other works, including The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, and apparently he does not intend to release them for a film.

Sponsored Links